90: Piper Two, Do You Copy?

A month has now passed and we are getting closer and closer to finishing the bridge. I go to help out every once in a while, but for the most part I'm at home with the twins. This week though I am helping with the bridge, I'm leaving tomorrow though.

I woke up a little earlier than most of the working crew. Daryl had woken up before me, and when I walked out of our tent he was sitting by a small campfire cooking something to eat for breakfast.

I walked over to where my husband was and sat down next to him after giving him a kiss on the cheek. "What's cookin' good lookin'?" I asked him while trying to imitate his accent.

"Stop." He said with a subtle smile on his face. "Squirrel and eggs. Thought ya might be hungry after the work out I gave ya last night."

"Oh now you stop." I playfully shoved him. "I am pretty hungry though."

Daryl hummed before grabbing the squirrel and eggs that he was cooking and gave me half. I noticed that the eggs that he gave me are different from his. His being scrambled while mine are sunny side up, my favorite.

Soon everyone was up and eating breakfast before getting ready to work on the bridge. After Sebastian and Enid were done eating I watched them head to the medical tent. They both have been taking lessons from Siddiq on medical things. And no, this isn't like when Sophia and Carl lied to me about taking medical classes, to hide a pregnancy. I checked this time to make sure it was legit.

When I was getting ready to leave, I overheard King Ezekiel talking to Henry about how he's proud of him, and how Henry should be proud of himself for all the work he's doing with the bridge.

"I'm not gonna bore my grandkids telling them some story about a bridge."

I couldn't help but laugh at the kids comment. A story about a bridge does seem pretty boring. But I guarantee when he's older he'll think differently. He'll be proud he was involved in this.

A few minutes later I saw Gwendolyn approach The King and Henry. The kid was about to leave, but she called him back to grab his weapon, but he misunderstood what she meant by 'you forgetting something?' So he ran up to her to kiss her on the cheek.

She may not have been a good mother to me, but at least she's taking care of Henry. It's obvious that she loves him.

You know, sometimes I look at Henry and am reminded of Sophia when I first met her. I know they aren't related, but damn, they look so much alike.

Dad asked me to be with him today while everyone works on the bridge. I would've gone with Daryl, but I don't get to see my father as much as I used to and to be honest I miss him. He might have made a stupid and awful decision, but he's still my dad, and I love him.

My father and I were walking together when Eugene came up to us. "In regards to our makeshift levee upstream, given the current rate of the spring runoff, I'd put it's expiration date at another six to nine days. After that, it's slam, blam, sayonara cofferdam."

"You know, Eugene..." I groaned. "I have known you for almost three years now, and one would think that after time you get less confusing. But somehow you've only gotten more baffling."

My father sighed before completely ignoring my comment and replying to the man I used to refer to as 'Mullet-Man'. "How fast can we have those supports ready?"

"Well, ditto on the six to nine, but if we boost our juice and shed the lead, I think we can beat it." Eugene replied.

"Good." My father nodded. "I'll talk to the foreman, make sure we do."

Rosita now came up beside me as we were all walking together. "Scouts got back. 'Horatio's gonna pass us by, but it'll be close."

"How many?" I asked her.