Chapter 30

Sitting in a small restaurant, the atmosphere was not really positive. The friends they had become in the meantime had greeted each other normally. However, there was an awkward atmosphere, which was probably due to the whole date. Nobody knew exactly what to talk about, which is why the meal passed in relative silence.

"You...wanted to...tell me something?" Miyu, who had noticed that Reisuke was at a loss for words, had pulled him out of his thoughts and helped him up a bit. There was only a cup of tea on the table in front of her, which was emitting a light steam.

"Um, yes...well..." stuttered the boy, who had to gather his words. "I'm leaving school earlier than I thought. I've been offered a job abroad and will be leaving in the next few days."

Surprised by this, Miyu blinked a few times. "That sounds good." She smiled afterwards and realized that Reisuke actually wanted to say something else. Why would he ask her out on a date because of this information?

His facial features relaxed, which was probably how Miyu was able to lighten the mood. Slightly nervous, Reisuke leaned forward and put his arms on the table. His gray eyes looked into her yellowish ones.

"I like you, a lot." Reisuke revealed, which Miyu had to process first. It had never seemed to her that Reisuke really liked her like that. He always acted like a good friend who had helped her with the scents.

Miyu couldn't just believe it and bit her lower lip like she had many times before. "Hm...you know...I've had surgery..." she spoke now. "I know." came from her counterpart without hesitation.

"Then why...do you like me?" Miyu now asked. There could be many reasons. "Because you're pretty."

Her heart ached as these words reached her ears. Her eyes wandered to her fingers, which had been playing with each other. "There...are...many pretty girls..." Miyu felt extremely bad. So Reisuke liked her for her looks alone. No wonder he had sought her closeness.

"Yes, but...I also like you because of your nature..." Reisuke said at the end, realizing what he had actually said. Like Tamaki and some other boys, he was too superficial and should have chosen his words differently. But the way Miyu looked right now, it was totally awkward. "Sorry. I just wanted to tell you before I leave and end up regretting it."

Miyu, who could no longer look him in the eye, nodded in understanding. Although she liked Reisuke, she couldn't return his feelings for some reason. Maybe it was because she had never really felt love or anything like it. She had no experience with it and was once rejected by Koji. It was certain that a boy would really like her at all.

This had only made things more awkward for both sides, so they had decided to leave the restaurant and let the evening fade away. With an equally awkward silence, the friends walked side by side, not knowing what else there was to talk about.

For Reisuke, however, it was clear that he would take Miyu to her apartment so that he could be sure that nothing would happen to her. What kind of boy would he be if he didn't do it?

"Thanks for bringing me." The fifteen-year-old thanked him and stood up on the steps. There weren't many more steps before she reached the building, which contained several apartments.

"You're welcome. And I wanted to apologize again for earlier. To be honest, I thought there was something between us. Apparently it's just a friendship." Reisuke said, hoping not to leave Miyu without having spoken.

"You are a nice and helpful boy. I've always enjoyed talking to you and trying out scents." Miyu also made an effort to talk to him. After all, he would soon be leaving Aoba Josai.

"But you like Oikawa, of course." Reisuke smiled, causing Miyu to turn completely red. Unable to say anything, Reisuke laughed a little. "You probably didn't notice. But he likes you, just like you like him. I have no idea what's going on between you. But I already knew before I asked you out on a date. I just wanted to make sure you were aware of your feelings and finally turned me down."

"Eh..so..." Miyu was now silent. Was it that obvious? She had never actually thought about it, nor realized it herself. Many people at school probably knew.

"Well then, it was nice to have met you and to have you as a friend. But you should really tell Oikawa. He's not entirely unpopular as a passer." Reisuke, who had raised his hand to say goodbye to Miyu, continued to smile.

He knew that Miyu might still need some time. But he was confident that she could really be happy with Oikawa. Miyu just had to give herself a jolt to be able to allow any feelings at all.

"Good luck with him, Miyu."