Chapter 35

A phone call reached me just when I wanted to bite into the sandwich I made myself. I was really hungry after over twenty four hours of not eating anything.

I rolled my eyes when I saw it was Jack, picking it up. "You were just interrupting my meal," I said.
"Maybe because I want to be your meal instead," he joked and I could see his smirk in front of me.

I blushed, lucky he couldn't see me in that moment. "Don't get ahead of yourself," I retorted, faking boredom. "What do you want? I thought you're at Ace's house?"

"You have to come, too. We have something to talk about regarding the winter ball tonight," Jack told me, making my eyes widen. That ball, I totally forgot about it.

"Jack," I said in realization. "I don't have a dress."
He sighed on the other end of the line. "Are you still going with that sucker from the bar or me?"

Realization kicked in and I slapped my face. I totally forgot about that, too. "I'm- Wait," I said. "How do you know about this?"

"That doesn't matter. Just tell me," he demanded, sounding a little jealous.
"Will you get me a dress if I go with you?" I asked, smiling cheekily and planting my free hand on my hip.
"Will you go with me if I get you a dress?" He retorted in the same tone.

"Maybe," I said.
"Go home and get ready. I'm picking you up at eight."

. . .

I was just finishing my make up when the doorbell rang. Making sure my robe was on right, I hurried down. We were running a bit late.

When I opened the door, I saw Jack standing in front of me. He was wearing an all black suit with a black button down. The only exception was his tie — that was a crimson shade of red.

In his hand, he held a black box with a bow. I stepped aside for him to come in. "Are you ready?" He asked, making me cock my head in a blush. Actually, I was blushing way too much those days.

"Give it to me," I demanded excitedly. When he did, I didn't waste any time and hurried up the stairs.
The moment I lifted the lid and saw what dress he had gotten me, my jaw dropped.

I picked it up at the top and held it in front of the mirror. It was beautiful. I didn't need help putting it on since the back was very low cut.
It was a gorgeous shade of crimson red with a flowing, satin skirt with a little slit.

The corset was covered in dark red and silver little jewels, forming into a wide cleavage and down my arms.
When I had my shoes on, I inspected myself in the mirror. This dress fit like a glove.

I grabbed my clutch and then made my way downstairs. Jack's eyes traveled the length of my body, taking in the dress.
I smiled up at him when I reached him.

His hand darted out to take the pendant of my necklace in between his fingers. He inspected it for a moment. "You're still wearing it?" He asked.
"I never took it off," I answered truthfully. It was so relieving to finally be honest.

"What do you think of my dress?" I asked him. His eyes looked so different all of a sudden. They were warm and....relieved. I've never seen that before.

He put his hands at the sides of my jaw, tilting my head up and looking at me. Into me. He was looking into my soul.
"You are breathtaking," he whispered against my lips. And before I could think more of his choice of words, he went in for a kiss.