002 miguel diaz, new kid.

 ( chapter two )
MIGUEL DIAZ, NEW KID.

When Miguel Diaz made it into the cafeteria on his first day, the only question was where to sit

When Miguel Diaz made it into the cafeteria on his first day, the only question was where to sit. He looked around for a moment before seeing an open table with two boys sitting down. "Is it cool if I sit here?" The boy wondered, hoping to find an easy place.

"Ooh. Sorry, tables really blowing up right now. I can put you on the waitlist, but it's probably next semester at the earliest." One boy wearing a yellow plaid shirt spoke. Miguel sighed. "Okay." He began turning away when the boy shot an arm out. "No, I'm kidding. Sit."

Miguel took his seat, nodding gratefully to the two. "Miguel." The yellow boy nodded back. "Demetri. This is Eli. He's a man of few words." Miguel watched as Demetri suddenly looked up, joining in and watching as two girls walked by. Demetri noticed and sighed. "Dude, don't torture yourself. Those are the rich girls."

Miguel just continued to watch, looking over at the table. "Do you ever talk to them or..." Demetri nodded. "Oh yeah! All the time. We hang out after school, make out, give each other hand jobs. Eli here is the homecoming king. Gets laid more than anyone. Isn't that right, Eli? Talk to them? You realize what table you're sitting at, right? You've pretty much signed away all hopes of losing your virginity before college."

"Oh shit, Yasmine's looking at us." Eli spoke, noticing the blonde staring directly at them.

Syd frowned, catching Yasmine's gaze shifting away from the group as her face contorted into one of disgust. "Oh my god, you guys. You see that guy over there who looks like he went down on a lawnmower? He's literally wearing the ugliest sweater I've ever seen." Moon snickered lightly as she looked as well.

Syd frowned, making eye contact with the boy before sending him a small smile, frowning again when he just looked away. "That is so wrong." Sam stated, laughing as well. "Speaking of wrong, check out Fug-lisha." Yasmine continued, turning her attention to a girl Aisha Syd had met once or twice from Sam. "She looks like she ate a picnic table." Moon and Yasmine just laughed at that, Syd catching Sam's eye with a frown.

She hated how Yasmine talked about other people. But what she hated worse was her own inability to stand up against her. She knew she was a coward, allowing Yasmine to terrorize people while standing behind her without a word. She also knew that she didn't want to be a social reject, but it seemed being an outcast was worse for her than watching Yasmine hurt others.

Syd had always been Yasmine's friend, she grown up knowing where she stood and where she needed to stay if she wanted any friends at her school. So it didn't matter that Aisha was actually pretty cool, or that the boy with the lip was actually kind of cute, Syd didn't have the strength to walk away from the only friends she'd ever known. And she felt like a coward.

"What's up, ladies?" Brucks spoke and Syd was brought back to reality before she felt someone wrap their arm around her. She looked beside her to see Kyler, one arm around her, and the other around Sam. He leaned toward Sam, keeping his other arm out of her view as he spoke to the girl next to Syd. "Hey, Sam, looking beautiful." Kyler spoke and Syd frowned, throwing his arm off her shoulder before her attention turned to a different boy who had been walking their way. She'd never seen him before, but when he noticed Kyler waving at him slightly with his now free hand, the boy sighed and walked back to the table with the boy Yasmine had been making fun of earlier.