047 leaders and followers.

 ( chapter forty seven )
LEADERS AND FOLLOWERS.

Syd stood between Tory and Devon as the team did conditioning, standing up and punching forward after doing a push-up while Sensei Odell walked around the class

Syd stood between Tory and Devon as the team did conditioning, standing up and punching forward after doing a push-up while Sensei Odell walked around the class. "They're really pushing us hard lately. Seems like we're getting ready for a fight, but who are we fighting?" Devon wondered, looking at the two girls.

Over the past few weeks Syd had gotten to know the girl better. She liked her and thought she was a good addition to the team. Tory had stayed a bit icy, but Syd could tell she thought the girl was a talent. Syd just couldn't tell Torys angle.

Tory didn't say anything, just facing forward again. Devon sighed, taking the hint to go back to conditioning. "Still don't want me here, huh? Why are you so dead set on freezing me out?" Devon wondered. Syds eyes widened, deciding she didn't need to be in the middle of that while she took a water break.

Tory turned to Devon, thankful Syd had walked off as she stared at the younger girl. "Because this place is dangerous. And you shouldn't be here." Devon scoffed. "Are you that scared of a little competition? Can't handle the idea of someone coming after the Queen Cobra's crown?" Tory just looked the girl up and down, something that seemed to be enough for Devon as she went back to conditioning again.

Tory did the same, having nothing to say to that. She didn't feel like the Queen and knew that there was someone else at the dojo who'd had that title long before she did. She knew that if she hadn't "won" at the All Valley that everyone would still call Syd the Queen, so she didn't feel too threatened about the title she didn't feel deserving of to begin with.

Syd walked back between the two, matching their time as they all stared forward and did their movements again. She'd been wondering when the next test from Sensei Kim and Sensei Silver would be, but there'd been no sign. All Syd knew was that whenever they wanted to test her again, she'd be ready.

Later during practice Syd stood before Sensei Silver, watching him intently as the rest of the class did the same. "The world is made up of two kinds of people. Leaders and followers. Cobra Kai, like a military unit, needs both to function successfully. So... we're gonna divide you up into pairs." Sensei Silver explained. "The goal of each pair is to score a point against an opponent who outmatches you. Only strong leadership will allow you to prevail." Sensei Kim continued. "Sensei Kim will take the girls. Boys, you'll stay here and spar with Sensei Odell. All right. Split up." Sensei Silver finished, ushering for everyone to move.

Syd moved to the mat the girls were on, sitting around the edge next to Tory as she looked up at Sensei Kim. "McKinley. You're up." Sensei Kim decided. "Yes, Sensei." Syd nodded. "Nichols." Sensei Kim spoke, looking at Tory. "Yes, Sensei." Tory nodded, standing as well. Syd nodded to the girl, smiling lightly. Both girls bowed to their Sensei, moving onto the mat and preparing.