Ch. 228: The Little Yellow Disc

Master Sun, mentioned by Zhuge Yu, was Chen Li's teacher in traditional Chinese painting. Zhuge Yu had introduced Chen Li to Master Sun, or more accurately, Zhuge Yu had simply recommended Chen Li to Master Sun, who recognized Chen Li's talent on his own.

Before Zhuge Yu officially took Chen Li as a student, he showed Master Sun a painting of plum blossoms in the snow that Chen Li had painted as he pleased. At a glance, Master Sun recognized it as an unfinished painting and was also amazed by Chen Li's talent.

At that time, Zhuge Yu convinced Master Sun to accept Chen Li as a student. However, when Master Sun formally took Chen Li as his apprentice, it had been quite some time since Zhuge Yu had taken Chen Li as his own student.

The relationship between Zhuge Yu and Master Sun was that of nephew and uncle in the realm of apprenticeships. Zhuge Yu's teacher was Master Sun's senior brother, but Zhuge Yu never showed undue deference to Master Sun.

So, if one were to carefully calculate, the generational hierarchy between Chen Li and Zhuge Yu was actually quite confusing.

However, nobody cared about this. What Zhuge Yu and Master Sun wanted was simply to nurture Chen Li. Sometimes, generational hierarchy wasn't that necessary.

Chen Li held a deep respect for Master Sun and always felt that Master Sun had an aura of an immortal, residing in a valley like a hermit, as if he could ascend to the heavens at any moment.

Master Sun truly deserved the title of a national master. His paintings had profound artistic conception, revealing the essence amidst the ethereal. He single-handedly showcased Chinese traditional painting to the world, letting more people know and appreciate this ancient and beautiful art form.

Master Sun held a high position in the country. His paintings often appeared in events where foreign guests were entertained, establishing close relationships with some national leaders and gaining abundant resources.

However, Master Sun never exploited these resources for personal gains. He led a simple and unassuming life, dedicating his entire life to the cause of traditional Chinese painting. He never married or had children, living a solitary life.

After understanding Master Sun's accomplishments from Zhuge Yu, Chen Li felt a surge of admiration. He considered himself very fortunate to be a student of such a great man.

Chen Li did not disappoint Zhuge Yu and Master Sun either. Since Master Sun was getting older and had limited energy, he could only devote one day a week to teach Chen Li. During this precious time, which amounted to just a few hours, Chen Li treasured the opportunity, studying attentively and earnestly, not daring to lose focus.

The two masters in the art world were not without reason in being drawn to Chen Li. Chen Li's talent in painting amazed both teachers, whether it was the Western style of painting he learned from Zhuge Yu or the traditional Chinese painting he learned from Master Sun. In every painting he created, Chen Li demonstrated a mastery and depth of meaning that was truly awe-inspiring.

After several months of systematic study in traditional Chinese painting, Chen Li's current proficiency in art had reached the level to consider him for graduation. Hence, Master Sun, who had been quiet for a while, planned to introduce Chen Li, his closed-door disciple, during this upcoming art exchange event.

Chen Li knew that Master Sun had his best interests at heart, so he agreed to the invitation for the exchange event. However, he was already starting to feel nervous about meeting all the strangers at the event.

Chen Li received an invitation, and Wei Chen at Changfeng Group also received one.

The invitation was sent by Chen Yunzeng, as the day after tomorrow was the hundredth-day celebration of Chen Yunzeng's son. That's why Chen Yunzeng extended the invitation. Not only Wei Chen but also Sheng Jiaqi and Zhuge Feng received invitations.