Ch. 239: Heart Attack

As the night fell heavily, a full moon ascended into the sky, its faint halo seeming to bestow a sacred light upon it, blessing this united day.

Because of the Mid-Autumn Festival, the main residence of the Chen family was bustling today. Chen Yunsheng returned to the Chen family's main residence with his family.

However, before the meal began, Chen Yunsheng was summoned to the study by Chen Shihuai. Naturally, the topic was about the last time Chen Yunsheng went to the capital to see Chen Yunlan.

Since that incident occurred, Chen Yunlan had never returned home, and in the initial years, Chen Shihuai didn't even know where Chen Yunlan was or what he was doing. He was in a state of complete unreachability, as if he had evaporated from this world.

If it weren't for later seeing in the newspaper that Chen Yunlan had cut ties with Sun Ruocheng, Chen Shihuai might have even guessed that Chen Yunlan had taken his own life.

In the following years, Chen Yunlan's reputation grew louder on the international stage, and Chen Shihuai only learned about Chen Yunlan's well-being through these reports.

In the years that followed, Chen Shihuai finally managed to establish contact with Chen Yunlan. Perhaps time had healed the wounds in Chen Yunlan's heart, as he was willing to talk to him on the phone, but he always hung up impatiently in the end.

It was from this phone call that Chen Shihuai learned what kind of life Chen Yunlan had been leading all these years-promiscuity with people of the same sex, accepting anyone who came, completely erasing the image of the elegant young master of the Chen family. He had become a notorious player in high society.

In reality, the upper echelons of society had no secrets, and Chen Yunlan had never hidden himself. He was even quite open about it. Therefore, while his reputation as an artist continued to grow, he had also become infamous in high society, with his name becoming synonymous with promiscuity.

At this point, Chen Shihuai realized that Chen Yunlan had not forgiven him. Chen Yunlan was exacting revenge on him in a way that degraded himself.

Not only did Chen Shihuai condemn Chen Yunlan's behavior in their phone calls, but these conversations often ended on unfriendly terms. Chen Shihuai understood Chen Yunlan's psychology. Back then, using the excuse of homosexuality tarnishing the family's reputation, he had forcibly broken up Chen Yunlan and his lover. Now, Chen Yunlan was using promiscuity as a homosexual to forever keep the Chen family as a topic of discussion among others, completely sullying the family's reputation.

Chen Yunlan was Chen Shihuai's most beloved son, and he had considered severing their father-son relationship, but this thought was quickly overwhelmed whenever it arose.

He still couldn't let go of this son, not only because Chen Yunlan was his beloved son but also because of the convenience that Chen Yunlan's international reputation brought to the Chen family on certain occasions.

"Please have a seat," Chen Shihuai said as Chen Yunsheng sat across from him, skillfully brewing tea.

Chen Yunsheng quickly reached out, saying, "Dad, let me do it."

Chen Shihuai shook his head, saying, "Just sit. Let me handle it." As he spoke, the aroma of tea filled the study.

Nervously, Chen Yunsheng accepted the teacup handed to him by Chen Shihuai and found the rising tea aroma a bit scalding.

"Did you meet Yunlan when you went to the capital this time?" Chen Shihuai's expression remained unreadable, his tone indifferent.

Chen Yunsheng nodded, with a hint of annoyance in his voice, evidently recalling the scene where they parted ways in disagreement. "Yes, I met him, and he's still the same. I asked him to come back, but he refused."