Ch. 249: Fight to the Death

After a chilly autumn rain, the season grew even colder.

As the morning brightened, the autumn rain finally ceased.

Chen Yunlan rose to his feet. Years of holding a paintbrush had calloused his hands, yet his fingers remained slender and distinctive. He traced the photograph on the gravestone. "Qu Ran, happy birthday."

"I'm leaving. I don't know when I'll come back. Perhaps, I'll bring our son next time to let you see him."

Drenched from head to toe, Chen Yunlan looked disheveled, yet there was a glint in his fox-like eyes.

With Chen Li's appearance, Chen Yunlan's desolate heart revived. He walked out of the cemetery and hailed a taxi.

The taxi driver curiously eyed Chen Yunlan, feeling a bit apprehensive. Getting out of a cemetery in the early morning, soaked to the skin, was quite an unusual sight and somewhat eerie.

Ignoring the driver's unease, Chen Yunlan mentioned an address and closed his eyes to relax. Despite a sleepless night, he felt excited now and devoid of any drowsiness.

After an hour's drive, the taxi stopped in an upscale residential area.

Chen Yunlan got out and rang the doorbell of one of the houses. Shortly, the video intercom near the door lit up, displaying the face of someone inside.

"Hello, may I ask whom you're looking for?"

Clearly, the person inside didn't recognize Chen Yunlan and maintained a somewhat arrogant tone, the pride of a servant of the Chen family.

"I am Chen Yunlan," Chen Yunlan stated calmly, showing no expression on his face.

Returning to this place after more than twenty years, Chen Yunlan felt an odd sense of calm, free from any emotional turbulence.

Even though the staff didn't recognize Chen Yunlan, having served the Chen family for so many years, they were somewhat familiar with the names of the family members. With the surname Chen and the character 'Yun' in the name, he must be of the same generation as Master Chen Yunsheng, they speculated. Hence, they didn't immediately refuse Chen Yunlan's entry but went to inform the steward.

Upon hearing the name "Chen Yunlan," the steward was stunned, repeatedly confirming, "Are you sure the person outside is Chen Yunlan?"

"Yes, he said his name is Chen Yunlan!"

"Hurry!" The steward became somewhat agitated. "Quickly bring Young Master Yunlan in!"

The staff, sensing the steward's urgency, dashed towards the front gate to invite Chen Yunlan in. The steward hurried to the study's door and knocked.

"Master, Master, Yunlan... Young Master Yunlan has returned!" The voice sounded somewhat excited.

Before long, the study door opened, and Chen Shihuai wore an expression of disbelief. "Who? Who did you say is back?"

"Master, it's Young Master Yunlan who has returned," the servant reiterated.

"Go and bring him up," Chen Shihuai replied, displaying a hint of excitement. He returned to the study and sat down, awaiting Chen Yunlan's arrival.

The servant respectfully escorted Chen Yunlan inside, devoid of the previous arrogance, addressing him as Young Master Yunlan and wearing a placating smile.

Chen Yunlan made no response, merely inquiring, "Is Chen Li at home?"

"Chen Li?" The servant appeared puzzled. "There is no Young Master Chen Li here!" He had worked for the Chen family for a decade but had never heard of anyone named Chen Li.