Ch. 271:Life Imprisonment

Chen Yunsheng and Chen Shihuai went to the capital on the same day. They staked out every possible location but couldn't find Chen Li and Wei Chen. However, they couldn't openly search for them, as they couldn't let the Chen family discover their intentions.

A week later, they still hadn't found Chen Li, and Chen Yu's funeral had to take place. After all, Chen Yu was a descendant of the Chen family, and they couldn't hastily bury her.

Chen Yu's funeral was held in the capital, at Baoshan Cemetery. Relatives and friends were notified, and a simple farewell ceremony was conducted.

During the farewell ceremony, Chen Yu's elder brother, Chen Qing, did not appear. Du Lixun cried uncontrollably. Even after so many days had passed, Du Lixun had not recovered from the pain of losing her beloved daughter. She looked several years older, lacking the grace and elegance she once had as the lady of the Chen family.

Seeing Du Lixun in this state, guests who came to offer condolences wanted to comfort her. However, seeing her heartbroken appearance, they could only pat her on the back and say, "Condolences."

Du Lixun didn't seem to register their words; she looked utterly exhausted.

Chen Yunsheng's expression wasn't good either. People assumed it was due to the grief of losing his daughter, but only he knew that whether Chen Yu lived or died, it had no impact on him. His current demeanor was more a result of not finding Chen Li.

Chen Li and Wei Chen seemed to have disappeared from the world. They couldn't even trace where the two were now. Chen Yunsheng and Chen Shihuai regretted not acting differently in the past. If they had known that the autistic fool from over twenty years ago was Mr. Qu's son, they would have actively facilitated the love between Chen Yunlan and Qu Ran.

They would have become in-laws with Mr. Qu, benefiting from the Qu family's influence. Their Chen family would have developed far beyond its current state. Why bother being subject to the Chen family's influence in the capital now?

Or perhaps, if they had treated Chen Li better, acknowledging him as a member of the Chen family, creating a sense of belonging, things might not have ended up like this.

However, reflecting on the past was now futile. What was done was done, and the damage caused couldn't be undone.

Understanding all of this clearly, Chen Shihuai and Chen Yunsheng became more anxious and fearful. There were still many guests offering condolences, including some who had come from Shanghai. In the eyes of these guests, the Chen family was still the prestigious family from before, connected to the capital's Chen family, still in its glorious times, still a social entity worth networking with.

Looking at the room full of guests, their faces adorned with feigned sorrow that couldn't hide the flattering expressions, Chen Yunsheng felt a sudden dizziness. He seemed to foresee the future – the downfall of the Chen family, deserted and even targeted by others.

No one knew what Chen Yunsheng was thinking at the moment. If these people knew, they would quickly change their expressions and leave immediately. The Chen family, now deemed worthless, was destined not to have any dealings with these people. Getting too close might even lead to unwarranted consequences – the risks outweighed the benefits.

Chen Yu's remains were ultimately pushed into the crematorium, and when they emerged, she had turned into a handful of ashes. At this moment, Du Lixun, holding Chen Yu's ashes, slowly began to recover. However, she still had a tearful and sorrowful appearance.

From cremation to burial, the entire process took only half an hour. Du Lixun, emotionally shattered by Chen Yu's death, was escorted into the resting room by her family. Despite their attempts to console her, Du Lixun remained in a detached state, seemingly oblivious to their words.