Ch. 236: These Two Paintings

Everyone's preferences and aesthetics were different, and being a gathering of master-level individuals, when their ideas clashed, it ignited intense intellectual sparks. This academic clash wasn't akin to market brawls; it was a vigorous exchange leading to the sharing of knowledge and skills. Whether actively participating in debates or listening from the sidelines, everyone found it highly enriching.

Chen Li didn't join the discussions but stood on the sidelines, listening to the debates of the masters with great concentration. He was focused because he learned a lot from their debates and gained deep insights.

No skill was developed in isolation, not even painting. It had always been a blend of various influences before establishing its unique style. Chen Li suddenly understood why Zhuge Yu had insisted on his attendance at this exchange event.

Half an hour into the event, Chen Li felt like his brain couldn't contain all the knowledge he had acquired that day. He wished he had a few more heads to store all the information from the masters' discussions.

Zhuge Yu didn't engage in the discussions either but stayed close to Chen Li. Given Chen Li's current situation, Zhuge Yu naturally wouldn't leave him alone in this kind of environment.

When the participants in the discussions noticed Zhuge Yu and Chen Li, they invited them to join in.

"Master Zhuge, why not have your student join the discussion? Let us have the opportunity to learn from you, Master Zhuge."

This person's words garnered agreement from others who looked towards Zhuge Yu with anticipation.

The person had already put Zhuge Yu in a situation where he couldn't refuse. By humbling himself and expressing the desire to learn, Zhuge Yu had no choice but to participate. If he stayed silent now, it would come across as dismissive.

Zhuge Yu was well aware of this person's intentions. He looked at the individual and commented, "I assume you painted this piece yourself? The whole painting is like you, flashy but lacking substance."

A simple statement from Zhuge Yu had left the man red-faced. He was a painter who had recently received an invitation to participate in this exchange event. He hoped to make a big impression during this event, so the artwork he had submitted was the one he was most proud of from the past year.

However, the reality was that the few masters critiquing his work at this moment had both praised and criticized it. Their comments were mixed, unlike Zhuge Yu's straightforward denial, which concluded that his work was flashy but lacked substance.

This was undoubtedly a harsh critique for him.

Just as the man thought others would share his dissatisfaction with Zhuge Yu's comment, he sensed that their expressions had a subtle undertone, not of solidarity but rather a hint of mockery.

The man's assessment was accurate. Those who had critiqued his artwork earlier had already detected from his enthusiastic attitude that the artwork was his own. They had given a perfunctory assessment, as he was present and was keenly watching, but he hadn't expected the man to take it seriously and even arrogantly invite Master Zhuge to critique his work.

He seemed to believe that Master Zhuge would be as easygoing as the rest. However, in the circle, Master Zhuge was renowned for his directness. He wouldn't beat around the bush, regardless of whether he liked the work or not. He would speak his mind straightforwardly, even if it left people feeling frustrated.

Without wasting words on this person, Zhuge Yu felt that the atmosphere had been disrupted. With Chen Li, he turned and left.

The man who had just received a critique from Zhuge Yu, feeling indignant, watched Zhuge Yu's departing back with resentment in his eyes. It was unclear what he was contemplating.