Ch. 267: Chen Yu has died

The night swept in with a blanket of darkness, suggesting that something was changing in the midst of the dark.

At the Ci'en Hospital, just outside the intensive care unit.

It has been a full twenty-four hours since the rescue effort, yet Chen Yu hasn't awakened. Through the glass of the ICU, one could see Chen Yu lying motionless on the hospital bed, tubes inserted all over, and the monitor beside the bed displaying faint fluctuations in the electrocardiogram.

Only forty-eight hours remained for Chen Yu, and if she didn't wake up within that time, she would bid a final farewell to this world forever.

The torn critical condition notice, torn by Du Lixun, lay quietly in the corridor outside the ICU. Du Lixun's anxious steps, as she passed by, stirred the fragments as the wind lifted them, letting the paper scraps struggle briefly in the void before helplessly falling back down.

A dying struggle.

The night grew even denser; the outside world's clamor was blocked by the hospital's thick walls, leaving only the audible sound of a pin drop in this space, with only the echo of one's breath.

At this moment, Du Lixun appeared extremely disheveled, devoid of the elegance she usually carried. Her once elegantly styled hair was now messy and hanging untidily. She hadn't slept for two days, her careful makeup had blurred due to crying, making it impossible to recognize her original appearance. If an unknowing passerby were to walk by, they might mistake her for a character in a live-action version of a horror movie.

However, Du Lixun paid no attention to her appearance. Her entire focus was on her daughter in the intensive care ward.

Chen Qing sat on a chair, head bowed, in a similarly disheveled state as Du Lixun. He had developed a stubble around his mouth, his eyes bloodshot from the sleepless nights.

His fists clenched tightly; he couldn't comprehend how things had escalated to this point.

As if an eternity had passed, the night finally receded. The outside world welcomed the first snowfall of the winter, with tiny snowflakes melting as soon as they touched the ground.

Winter had arrived, and today, the sun had hidden itself away.

As the first rays of morning light streamed into the intensive care unit, the heart monitor beside the hospital bed emitted a sharp, piercing sound. The previously faintly undulating lines on the monitor turned into a straight line, extending towards an infinite and distant direction.

Wang Kaiji was constantly monitoring the situation in the ICU. When the sharp sound rang out, he and a group of doctors immediately appeared in the critical care ward.

Chen Qing stared fixedly at the door of the ward, while Du Lixun couldn't stand still, needing to lean against the wall to steady herself. She dared not even glance at the ward, as if by doing so, everything might not happen.

Several minutes later, the door of the ward opened. The doctors, their faces painted with sorrow and regret, shook their heads toward Du Lixun and Chen Qing.

Wang Kaiji said, "Please accept our condolences."

Chen Yu had died, ultimately succumbing to the call of the illness. She had passed away.

She could have survived, but she died because her attachment was too deep, causing harm to an already burdened heart. Eventually, her heart couldn't bear it anymore.

Had Chen Yu not been so fixated on someone else's heart and had calmly focused on recovery, under Wang Kaiji's medical skills, she could have lived for several more years. But her attachment was too deep, rendering her beyond saving.