Chapter 49

Casper's Point of View: 

Going back to school felt strange after everything that happened. It almost felt pointless to come back and worry about exams with so many bigger issues at hand. Nonetheless, Camilla, Cayden and I were sitting in the school cafeteria on a small table at the back, trying to discuss Hailey without any humans overhearing our conversations.

"Are you sure there's a spy?" Camilla asked uneasily, her eyes flickered over to one of the tables across the hall, where Nate sat with his group of friends. The group of them were loud and tumultuous, talking in clamorous voices and laughing about who knows what.

Nate looked up and his eyes settled on me. He gave me a small wink before turning back to his friends and I turned back to mine.

"We have a plan." I said to Camilla. "It involves the three of us, Nate, Chloe and Loki..." I said.

"And this plan should catch out our spy?" Camilla asked.

I hesitated and nodded. "Hopefully... it'll prove that there definitely is a spy amongst us."

I thought back to what Nate told me yesterday and his plans. "I'm going to be used as bait." I said.

Camilla raised an eyebrow. "What? Why can't Nate be used as bait?"

"Nate isn't an Alpha." Cayden said from beside Camilla and she scowled.

"I don't think you should be risking your life." She muttered and I gave her a light smile.

"Don't worry. I won't be." I flicked my eyes back over at Nate who was engaged in a hushed conversation with Chloe and Loki. The rest of his friends seemed to have vanished. Nate looked up at me and gave me a nod and I smiled back at him.

"Last night, Nate and I went to see the pack witches. We made them put a spell on me... a protection spell... any wolf who tries to kill me or attack me or harm me in any way, will only end up hurting themselves instead." I looked between my friends who both gave me looks of mild surprise.

"How did you convince the witches to do that?" Cayden asked with a frown.

"I'm going to be Alpha." I said lightly. "They follow my parents orders... so Nate thought they'd follow mine as well."

"So... what's the plan then?" Camilla asked. "You can't be hurt by Hailey, which is good... I assume you're planning on heading to the White Woods alone and letting Hailey capture you?"

I nodded. "Nate and the rest of you will be hiding in the bushes as well... the plan is to draw Hailey out and then the rest of you to come and fight her off."

"How does that reveal a spy?" Cayden asked.

"A spy will be less likely to come and help." I said. "And we should be able to see how Chloe and Loki interact with Hailey's pack... when we see them all together we're hoping it'll look obvious whose in alliance with them."

Cayden frowned. "That's not going to work. Any real spy would know to keep up their cover."

I smiled. There was much more to Nate's plan than what I could tell Camilla and Cayden.

"Also Casp... Hailey controls witches..." Camilla said.

I gave her a smile "Witch magic won't work on me now either." I explained to my friends. "Neither will fae magic... or magic of any kind... I'm almost untouchable."

Camilla gave me a silent look. "Cayden's right though... the spy will keep their cover. If you're counting on one of us not coming to your rescue and thinking them the spy... they'll be prepared for that."