Chapter 62

Casper's Point of View: 

"Do you think I should spend my time studying calculus or probability?" Camilla asked, wiping up the excess blood from a park bench as she narrowed her eyes in thought. "Exams are literally ten days away." She murmured. "I'm freaking out Casp."

I rolled my eyes. "Camilla, you're incredibly smart. Stop worrying okay?" I said, as I helped her scrub down the bench, trying to restore it to its natural state pre Hailey's pack attack.

Camilla sighed, sitting back and drifting her eyes across the distorted park. For the past week my pack had been attempting to clean up the rubble left over from Hailey's attack. We had to remove all the bodies, clean up the blood, remove anything damaged or impaired and attempt to rebuild the several properties that had been destroyed and rendered into debris.

Things were starting to feel normal again. Almost. Camilla was back to freaking out about exams, Cayden was back to annoying Kai, and Nate was back in his rightful spot as Alpha, attending meeting and after meeting to try and deal with everything that had happened the past week. Nate's parents had vanished after my Alpha ceremony on my birthday. They had skipped town, assumingly to outrun the rumours and whispers that would be following then around now that everyone knew Nate was a hybrid. My own parents were staying to themselves. They refused to leave the house most days and didn't interact with anyone besides each other. Brianna and I had both moved into Nate's parents house with Nate now that his family were no where to be seen. I was going to miss the little hut by the forest but I had missed living and sleeping in a larger, roomier space.

"You should probably go and help Bree set up for your birthday party." Camilla said, stretching out her arms. "I can handle the rest of this."

I raised an eyebrow at Camilla. "Yeah, Bree would just tell me I'm getting in the way. Trust me she would not want my help." I said. "Besides..." I sighed, looking around at all the destruction. "I'm not particularly in a party kind of mood. Not after everything that just happened. It feels wrong to go about everything as normal when so many members of our pack perished at Hailey's hand."

"That's why we need something to look forward to." Camilla said with a small smile. "Everyone's trying to pretend everything's fine... but it's not... we still don't know how many werewolves we lost in the fights... but until we do, people need a reason to continue living... a night to just forget about it all and remember what life's for."

"That's oddly inspirational.' I said and Camilla laughed.

"I'm thinking I should become the pack's motivational speaker..." She gave a half smile and I chuckled. "Maybe you could have a podcast or something...."

"Yeah and you'll be my only listener." She grinned. "I think we've done enough for today." She murmured looking around the park. "We can come back tomorrow and finish this... if you don't want to help Bree, help Nate. You're technically the Luna of the pack now so he'll probably love your help with all these meetings."

"I really don't want to attend a bunch of meetings." I said giving Camilla a wry smile. "That was genuinely the part I hated most about being the future Alpha."

Camilla paused and studied me closely. "Are you upset?" She asked carefully. "About how everything went down? I mean... I'm still upset on your behalf. No matter his reasons, Nate did betray you."

I sighed and shrugged. "Cam, you know I never wanted to be Alpha." I said. "I mean, I'm mad about what Nate did and it might take a while for me to forgive him... we're not even sharing bedrooms at the moment. I'm sharing his parents room with Bree... we'll work through it though. Eventually."

Camilla gave me a confronted look. "You're sharing a room with Bree? And she's okay with that? I would never share a room with my brother."

"You don't have a brother." I reminded Camilla and she rolled her eyes.