181

Aubrey's POV

I was happily sleeping until I got woken with a shock.

Ross: Aubrey get up!

Dad shouted in a worry, it took me a minute, but I finally opened my eyes, stretched and yawned.

Aubrey: What?

I asked groggily.

Ross: Someone's broken into the house, we need to get to the basement...now!

I put my slippers on and ran as silently as I could down the creaking steps and found myself in the basement along with Ryder and my mum. I ran to mum and clung onto her arm.

Aubrey: Mum, what's going on?

I asked scared whilst mum soothingly rubs her hand on my head.

Laura: Someone's broken in, and I'm going to give them a shock.

Dad then clings onto her arm as she starts for the steps.

Ross: Laur, you can't. You haven't fought anyone in so long. And you don't know if they're armed!

Without mum and dad noticing I passed them and went up the steps. Ryder didn't notice either, he was too busy crying into his knees.

I walked into the living room and I couldn't hear anything so I went into the kitchen, there was no sound of movements so I opened the cutlery draw and grabbed a chef knife, the sharpest knife in the draw. As I closed the draw carefully, I heard a big bang coming from upstairs.

I gasped then held my breath so I wouldn't be breathing so loudly. I clutched the knife in front of me so if I jump, it wouldn't stab me. As I went past the door to the basement I heard my mum and dad talking about me. I knew I couldn't stay there, so I took a deep breath in and walked slowly up the stairs.

As I got to the top, I could hear more than one voice. And Ryder's bedroom door was slightly open, I could see his bedroom fireplace was lit, orange spread across the walls and just out from the door, ending in front of my feet. The talking in Ryder's room was aggressive. Someone was talking about murder and the other was plotting how to have a successful murder without being caught.

It gave me such a shock I dropped the knife and it hit the floor. The talking in Ryder's room suddenly stopped and I heard footsteps heading towards the door. Then, the door was slowly pulled back. Once it had fully opened I didn't dare look at the faces. I just heard low laughs.

I slowly looked up at them and screamed. It was the most distrubing thing I'd ever seen! The man that had opened the door had one eye, blood covered his face and his arms were bare and I could see all his scars. Once he turned back so he was facing the others in the room, they started talking once again.

??: Sir, what should we do with little miss beautiful?

He turned back to me and gave me a dirty smile and I took a step back.

??: She's seen and heard us. We can't just let her go now.

They turned and faced me again.

??: We need to punish her.

As one of the men took a step towards me I grabbed the knife from the floor and held it defensively in front of me.

Aubrey: Stay back!

One of the men smirks.

??: Or what?

I look at the knife then back at the man.

Aubrey: Or I'll kill you.

The two men start laughing hysterically. One man took another step towards me and I didn't have the courage to kill them so I ran downstairs and hid in the cupboard. After hiding for a few minutes, I heard the men all coming down the stairs. Then there was silence. SMASH...so much for having that priceless China collection.

After they broke the whole China collection, they stopped and started talking again.

??: Where could she have gone?

One said in despair.

??: She could be in that cupboard, under the sofa, in the attic or basement?

Suggested another. The three of them nodded to one another and went into different directions. One went upstairs to the attic, another was checking the sofas and the other man was heading towards the basement doors.

I silently climbed out of the cupboard and ran up to the man and tackled him to the floor.

??: AHH!

He screamed.

??: Get this girl off of me!

He bellowed. I was so scared when the man from the sofas came over and the man from the attic arrived. The man furthest from me pulled out a gun and pointed it at me.

??: Little girl, I'd get off his back if I were you.

I shook my head and clung onto the mans back with a stronger grip. The man knew I wasn't going to move so he loaded the gun. I gulped. He was about to pull the trigger when I fell off the mans back. But it was too late, he'd just shot the bullet...and it went through, the mans back I was on, head... I looked back at him, he was dead. Blood pouring out into a puddle surrounding his head and neck.

I shrieked with fright and ran upstairs to my parents room and slammed the door, locking it behind me. I've always known my mum was a spy so I went into her wardrobe and found her weapons, I gathered as many as I could and braced myself for what would happen when I went back downstairs.

I went down the steps. Once I was at the bottom I sheltered my head and looked around to see where the other two men were. One was by the cupboard I was in a few minutes ago and the other is getting ready to go into the basement.

I had to create a distraction. So I decided to shoot the man by the cupboard, he dropped to the floor, it was hard to see if he had dropped dead or not. But the man that was about to go into the basement walked over to him. I saw this as my opportunity. I ran over to the basement door and held the gun out facing the last man. He slowly looked over his shoulder and knew what I'd done.

He walked over to me and punched me in the face so hard I fell through the basement doors. Once I landed on the floor I heard gasps and footsteps moving away from me. I knew for a fact, that was my family protecting one another. The man jumped down and landed right beside me, this is it. This is obviously my time to die.

Comment what you think I should do.

1) Carry on with the book
2) End it at this chapter

Thanks, Meg xxx