Chapter 2

Maddy's prospective

"Whoa whoa whoa you are 9. When is your birthday" Sirius asked. I rolled my eyes and did a side glare at James, who was rubbing his head from where I hit him with the book. He rolled his eyes and looked back out the window.

"July 9 1962" I answered not taking my eyes off of James.

"So how did you get into Hogwarts if you are only now just 9." Remus asked. He seemed interested, unlike Sirius. 

"You know, I might be above my age group. And so when James got his Hogwarts letter another one came and it was addressed to me and my parents are apart of the auror group so Dumbledore came and said it wasn't a mistake so ya" I finished, I wasn't sure of the all the details myself to be honest, no one told me the full story. 

"So you are 9 and you are going to Hogwarts and you are sure you can handle it" Sirius asked, for a boy I just met he was very sassy and kind of rude. For what feels like the millionth time I roll my eyes. 

"Of course" I said, and I crack open my book again and begin to read. The boys were silent. 

"You must be really happy" Remus said, I nodded not looking up from the book. The boys changed to a light conversation about houses, different Quidditch teams, and chocolate frog collections. The rest of the journey didn't take very long. Arriving at the station we were told to leave our trunks, and to step out onto the platform. When we got out of the train we looked around and then we heard

" fir' yer' fir' yer' to the bot' ples'" I looked and saw a half giant, I clung to James's arm and he chuckled. Me and the other first years went over to the boats and hopped in. Some how during the mix I got put into a boat with one other person. And that was a boy who's face I couldn't see because of the darkness. The ride was smooth and quiet, it was also quite beautiful, like something out of a poem. We suddenly stopped and we got out of the boats and went up to the castle where a lady, who we found out was named professor Mcgonagall, told us the rules. 

"Your house will be like your family" She told us. James who was across the crowd looked at me and smiled. He wanted us both to be in Gryffindor like mom and dad, I wasn't sure what house I wanted to be in. Suddenly we started walking forward and I snap out of my thoughts.

We walked into a hall with these huge doors. There was already a lot of students in there, sitting at tables that had empty gold plates and cups. There was a table at the end of the hall, which I assumed was the staff table, with a stool right before it. On the stool sat a little old hat that I realized was the sorting hat. Mom and dad had told me about the sorting hat and I read about it in some of the books they bought me. McGonagall explained that she would call out our name, we would walk forward and she would put the hat on our head. The hat would then call out a house and we were supposed to go sit at the correct table. She started out by calling a girl named Jenny Abiles. I zoned out and looked around the hall. 

Many of the students looked bored, some were cheering everytime they got a new student but by the 20th student it just became annoying and way too loud. I looked at the candles and wondered how it wasn't dripping wax on everyone. I snapped out of my thoughts yet again to try and pay attention. 

McGonagall called Sirius's name and he walked up, he looked at the Slythrin table, I had a feeling he was looking at someone but I couldn't tell. A minute later the hat called Gryffindor and he smiled. He walked over the table and sat down, there was many whisperings around the hall. I tried to keep track of the numbers for each house but that got boring. My feet started to hurt but then Remus got called up. He sat on the stool and it looked like he was whispering to the hat. A moment later the hat yet again called Gryffindor and Remus took his spot next to Sirius, who punched his arm and smiled. I messed around with my robes until

"Potter, James." My brother walked up and sat right down. He looked at me and smiled. He clenched his hands around the edge of the stool until it called 

"Gryffindor." and then it was my turn. 

"Potter, Maddy." I walked up and I was feeling butterflies in my stomach that weren't there just moments ago, I walked up and sat down. The hat was put on my head and it slipped over my eyes because I was way smaller than everyone else.

"Mmmmmmmmmm another Potter. But you are a couple years younger is that why you want to prove your self. You want to prove that you can change things but you still don't care if you are noticed you don't care if you have friends why is that". Said a small voice in my head. I panicked slightly then I took a deep breathe and thought

"Well I try to make sure that I am different for people my age but I want to show that I am no different then others. Sure I work hard what is wrong with that but then again I don't know how to have a lot of fun, reading is fun for me. Truly I just want to be with James, he will be sad if I'm not"

" Will you change things it seems you have the power but you don't use it you use I know you can change everything if you try if you try to prove that just because you are small doesn't mean you aren't powerful. Gryffindor!" The hat yelled the last part. I smiled took off the hat and gave it to the professor. I walked over to James and he pulled me into such a tight hug that I couldn't breathe.

"James I can't breath." I gasped. He let go then he focused back up to the sorting. I made eye contact with both Remus and Sirius and they smiled and nodded. I nodded back. 

Edited and rewritten 9/18/20