chapter 24

Maddy's perspective

"What the hell are you doing" I push away from Remus. He looks at me hurt. "Remus I am 10 years old! I don't need to be kissing people! Remus you're like a brother to me!" I tell him. 

"I'm sorry I just thought this would be a good time to tell you" Remus says shrugging. 

"Remus you knew I liked her last year" Sirius interjects. Remus turns to Sirius

"That was last year mate, this is this year. If you still have a crush on her you should tell me instead of keeping it a secret." Remus snaps at him. James scoffs

"Last I checked that's my bloody sister and none of you should be having a crush on her" James tells the both of them. 

"Last I bloody well checked I am 10 years old and no one should be having a crush on me when I am 10! And James stop trying to control me! I am a child but not yours!" I yell and the boys go quiet. 

"Maybe we should just go to our dorm" Liz says and I nod, Harely stands up and then helps me stand up, I begin to walk towards the door with Rose and Liz right behind us two. I was still trying to process what in the world had just happened. I think of all of those boys as my brothers, nothing else. 

"Maddy I'm sorry" Remus tells me. I keep walking and I hear Rose say

"Maybe just leave it be Remus" Before she shut the door behind us. I lead the way to the dorm and just lay down on my bed. 

"Boys are stupid" Liz tells me laying down on her own bed. 

"Yeah they are. I am 10 years old, boyfriends are for like 16 and stuff." I tell them. 

"Well probably 14" Harely tells us. I close my curtains with a wave of my wand and Harely whips them back open. "Maddy you can't hide from the truth" She giggles. 

"Whatever Harely. Just because you know that you are bisexual doesn't mean the rest of us know how we feel" I tell her and she rolls her eyes and walks to her bed. 

The next day we were in class, charms to be more specific. We were studying theory of spells, which was really boring if I am being honest. A little paper flew on top of mine, I look around but I didn't see who it came from.

Hey are you okay? I'm sorry about last night. 

I recognized the hand writing as Remus'. I sigh and write back

I'm fine Remus. 

I send it back to Remus, who was in a desk behind me. He was sitting next to Liz, I was sitting next to Harely, James was next to Sirius and Rose was next to Lily. Harely looks at me and I shrug, the paper flew back over my shoulder

I don't believe that. You are a horrible liar

I scoff and show Harely who glares at Remus out of the corner of her eye. 

YOU KNOW WHAT REMUS LUPIN YOU DO NOT EVEN KNOW HOW I FEEL ABOUT YOUR A- 

The paper was ripped out of my hands. 

"Ms. Potter passing notes? With who" The teacher asks me, I don't say anything. "Fine all of you, all 8 of you detention tonight" I shoot an apologetic look at all of my friends. 

"I can't believe we all got in trouble, for once I wasn't doing anything" James complains as we make our way back to the class room later that night. 

"You did end up setting fire to your notes" Remus reminds him. 

"Ugh that doesn't count he didn't see that" James groans. We reach the classroom and walk in. The teacher was there with his arms crossed. 

"Now I know most of you aren't trouble makers but I know most of you are. So for this detention you can either have one of you successfully cast a patronous, twice once by yourself and once in front of me or each write a 13 inch essay" he offers us. 

"I think one of us could cast it" I shrug and he nods, leaving us alone in the room with the promise of being back in two hours. "Alright who wants to do it?" I ask. 

"Well I mean you got us here so how about you or Remus" Rose tells me. 

"Okay fair enough, and for someone who doesn't talk much you sure say some honest stuff" I tell her and she shrugs. "Okay so it's basic in theory, I just need to think of a happy memory"

"Well how about any quidditch game? You haven't lost a single one" Liz offers up. 

"Or how about the food fight in the great hall? Where Dumbledore slammed a pie into Minnie's face?" Sirius says laughing. 

"That time where we went sledding down the grand stair case during the holidays?" James laughs. 

"Oh the time we pulled the boys into the slime when they tried to prank us?" Rose offers. 

"The time over the summer where we got ice cream and hung out in the sunshine" Remus smiles. 

"Do whatever you feel like is a good memory for you" Harely says putting a hand on my shoulder. I close my eyes and hold out my wand

We were in the common room, we had moved the table out of the way and moved chairs closer. James, Rose, and Liz all in arm chairs. Harely and I on the couch as usual, Remus and Sirius on the floor where our feet would be if we weren't laying fully on the couch. We had a box of sweets in the middle of our half circle, our mom had sent it to us that day. We were cracking bad jokes, laughing till it hurt, drinking butter beer that was also in the box. Our mom knew that we would be sharing our box of stuff so she sent enough for everyone. Harely was running her hands through my hair like she normally does, the fire was crackling, burning more and more because we were throwing our wrappers in their. Remus brought out a small muggle record player and it was playing in the corner of the room, everyone was enjoying the soft tones. Sirius was almost on top of Remus as Remus was looking through this picture book I had full of family photos, Sirius was making fun of baby James. Rose, Liz and James were playing cards, Harely and I talking about Quidditch.  I looked around and I felt safe, I felt happy, I felt like this was where I wanted to be forever. 

"Expecto Patronum" I say and out flew a little cat. Truly a tiny kitten. 

"Oh my gosh you did it" Harely smiles and gives me a hug

Edited and rewritten 10/7/20