Chapter 44

Maddy's perspective

I was sitting at the table, playing cards with Harely and Sirius. Liz, Rose, and Remus had gone home for the weekend, something about their parents actually wanting to see their children for once instead of them seeing only their friends this summer. 

"This is honestly calm compared to what we've been doing for the past few years. Like since we met we spent our summers doing things like camping and swimming and all those things" Sirius points out. 

"I may have spent last summer in duel clubs" I shrug and they look at me. "It was provided by the school" I tell them. 

"Woah, I wish we could use magic outside of the school" Sirius says. I nod, we would be unstoppable. We continue to play cards when James gets home with dad. There was something they needed to talk about. 

"Hey James, wanna join us?" Harely asks him and James walks over to us, our dad still standing by the door. 

"Yeah, I'll take Maddy's spot. Maddy go to dad he wants to talk to you" James tells me. I pull on my sweater that was on the back of my chair and I walk over to my dad. 

"Hey honey, grab your shoes we can talk a walk" Dad smiles at me. I pull on my flip flops and we go outside. We walk down the street, it was a quiet day. "So how was your dad? What did you do?" He asks me. 

"Well we picked some flowers for mom, we as in Harely and I. Then we helped mom make some lunch and that's when you took James out so Sirius, Harely and I ate lunch in the backyard. Then we came inside and took the flowers we picked and turned them into flower crowns" I say pointing to the flower crown on my head. "Then we started playing cards" I smile. He nods. "How was your dad? Where did you and James go?" I ask him. 

"Well I had to talk to James about the same thing I'm going to talk to you about so we grabbed some lunch. Do you want to grab something to drink? Or maybe some ice cream?" He asks me. I think for a moment. 

"Can we get butterbeer?" I ask him and he nods. He grabs my hand and suddenly we are in the leaky cauldron. We sit at a table and my dad orders us butterbeers. We sit there for a moment before he starts talking. 

"So I explained this to James already and I wanted to talk to you about it, so I can answer your questions without James here, mostly because you both have different views on things. So you know what Dumbledore and McGonagall talked to you about? The beginning of your third year?" He asks me. 

"Yeah that something happened to James, Frank Longbottom, Arrow and I at a wedding? I hardly remember it, I was 5 at the time" I say and he nods.

"Well now we know more information. The man as you know is Tom Riddle, like Dumbledore explained he was a student at Hogwarts, wanting more power. And at the wedding you kids stubbled onto something that gave your children the power to defeat him. Well Tom has gone on, he is creating an army. He's creating an army of people who are like him, a thirst for power and wanting to bring down the ministry. Not only that but he is doing something dangerous, he is creating something called horcruxes. These things are parts of his soul put into items. With these he will live forever unless you can destroy them. And it is nearly impossible to break them. But until we find a way we are starting something of our own. It's called the order of the phoenix." 

"Wait are we starting our own army?" I ask him. 

"Yes. It's going to be small to start but we will have our own army. We will having meetings at our home. Spies to go undercover and people who will protect you and James. Even when you go to Hogwarts someone will be in Hogsmed in case anything happens. The school will be charmed even more to help protect you both." He tells me. I sit and think. "What do you think so far? I know that it's a lot of information to handle but there's more I need to tell you."

"It's a lot. And I have questions but go ahead and tell me everything else then I will be asking a lot of questions." I tell him and he nods and laughs a bit. 

"You are your mother's daughter. There will be people staying at our house, that means Harely has to sleep in your room everynight, and that goes for your friends when they come over too. Same with James' friends, they'll stay in his room. There will be people guarding the house, more than just the charms. People will be going in and out, our house will now be a pitstop for information, food and a shower. You will be safe I promise" He grabs my hand. "I promise you, your brother, and your friends will be safe." He tells me looking right in my eyes. 

"Can I ask my questions now?" he nods. "Will we be allowed in meetings? Can we leave the house still? Can we leave the school to go to Hogsmed? What about when we go to and from school for breaks? What can we do to help? What is he building an army for? Will there be a battle?" I ask him and he pauses for a moment. 

"You can join meetings, you, James, Sirius, and Harely can. I haven't talked to your friend's parents about them being in meetings. You can leave the house with your mother, myself, and a few others who we will introduce you too. Hogsmed is a maybe. To go to school for start of term you will take the train, for breaks floo powder in McGonagalls office. We will let you know when you can help us. He's building an army for the moment to help protect him, keep him safe while he creates the horcuxes, and we aren't sure if there will be a battle yet. There could be but for now we know his army is too small for him to fight anyone." 

Edited and rewritten 10/27/30