chapter 14

Maddy's perspective

I sat in the common room with the boys a little while later. We were talking about what our plans were for Christmas. I kind of wanted to stay here for Christmas with Sirius and Remus but James wanted to go back home. 

"When was the last time we went anywhere besides the castle? We could go out to shops and see some of our friends" James tells me trying to convince me. 

"First off James, we have no money, we are children. Second off they are your friends remember? The only people back home who are my friends are Penny and Sam and they moved to France at the end of the summer remember? So they could go to school in France?" I remind him not looking up from my copy of 'Hogwarts a History'. It wasn't my copy it was Remus' that he was lending me. 

"Still won't it be fun to see Mom and Dad again? Do our traditions?" James asks me. I roll my eyes and turn the page. 

"We see Mom and Dad everytime we are home and for the past 9 years I have no spent more than a day away from them until now. And are you talking about the traditions that went to shit last year?" I ask and James goes quiet. "I'm sorry James but I want to stay here. If you would like to go than you can, I am not stopping you." I remind him. 

"We haven't spent Christmas away from each other ever" He mumbles crossing his arms. 

"Well maybe this is the first time we do that James. Or you can stay here with us." I offer to him. 

"Or all of us could go to our house" He counters back. 

"You mean all of us? Including Sirius and Remus? That won't fly the parents don't know about them, James they haven't met the boys before" I remind him. 

"We are right here" Sirius reminds us. I look up from my book and look at him giving him the 'I am aware now hush' stare. 

"I tell mom and dad about them in every letter I send" James tells me. 

"When was the last time you sent them a letter" I ask turning my gaze from Sirius to James. 

"They send me a letter weekly so I send one back to them" He says sounding confused. "When was the last time you sent them a letter?" He asks.

"After last time I got a letter, which was before the ball. Like a month before the ball, they send you weekly letters?" James looks even more confused than I felt. 

"They don't send you letters?" I shrug and he looks confused still. 

"Anyway let's change the subject." Remus interjects closing his book. Remus hasn't said much to me since he said I love you the other day. It's now the way we say goodbye but we haven't said it in front of the boys before. James would lose his mind, say that we're dating even though we are literal children. 

"Let's change the subject." I agree closing my book. 

"No don't change the subject" James tells us. I sigh and put my book down on the coffee table. 

"Changing the subject, what do you guys want for Christmas. I want a new set of potion scales since mine are acting weird since someone blew them up and then tried to fixed them and failed" I say looking in the direction of Sirius. "And I want color changing ink" 

"I want more parchment and maybe a new book" Remus tells us putting his book on top of mine on the table. 

"You guys want boring stuff for Christmas. I want a broom care kit and some stuff for pranks" Sirius tells us. James sits there with his arms crossed still and doesn't say anything. 

"Come on James stop pouting and tell us what you want for Christmas" I tell him pushing his leg slightly. James and Sirius were on the couch with Remus and I on the floor on either sides of them. The only thing seperating us from the fire was the coffee table filled with books and paper, and wrappers from the candies James and Sirius had eaten in the past few hours. 

"I want you to come home for Christmas" James tells me still being pouty. 

"That's it I am walking away from this conversation. I am going to the kitchens anyone want to come with me?" I offer up as I stand up. James drops his arms and looks at me. 

"It's after crefew" He reminds me. I laugh. "What?" He asks me. 

"James it doesn't matter, come on I'll show you something I found" I say grabbing his hand and pulling him up off the couch. "You two as well. Get up you lazy bums" And the others stand up and I lead them outside the common room. We walk maybe about 5 feet out of the common room and I stop. 

"Why are we stopping?" James asks me. I shush him and I turn towards the wall. On the wall was a painting that in the distance had a door. I tap the edge of the painting twice and the door comes way closer. I touch the knob and suddenly the painting swings forward and opens up a secret passage. I walk in and the boys follow me. I start walking down the hall. 

"How did you find this?" James asks me. 

"Where are we" Sirius questions. Remus stayed silent, I brought him here right after I found it. We walk for a moment and I ignore the boys questions. Finally we are at the other end where I open up that painting. It put us right in front of the painting of the bowl of fruit. I tickle the pear and it opens up to the kitchens. As soon as we are in the kitchens House Elfs walk over to us. 

"Hi, can we get some cookies and hot chocolate please?" I ask nicely and they nod. It was only when we were back in the common room, right where we had been moments ago that I answer the questions. "I was coming back from Hagrid's one day and I almost tripped on thin air again but I didn't because I put my hand on the painting before I fell. Behind it felt hallow so I spent moments trying to figure out how to get behind it. I tapped the edge twice and then the door popped forward and I touch the handle and it opened. I followed it to the end and there I was." I explain to them. 

"Wow, I wonder how many other places like that are in the castle" Sirius says and I shrug. We spent the night in front of the fire, eating cookies and drinking hot coco. It was so much fun and I wanted to stay in this moment forever. 

Edited and rewritten 9/24/20