chapter 48

Maddy's prospective

I wake up and look around the room. It was completely dark out still. I look at the clock and see that it was 1:20am. I look at Harely who was in her own bed, she fell asleep before I did. I sit up quietly, grab my slippers and creep out the dorm and down the the common room. I look around, and see that it's empty except one person. They were by the fire alone, reading a book.

"Remus?" I ask and Remus looks up at me. He made a face of relief.

"I thought you were someone else. What are you doing awake?" He asks me. I roll my eyes and walk over to him, sitting next to him on the couch. I curl my legs underneath me and he looks at me weirdly.

"What?" I ask him in confusion.

"Well it's just, in first year up until you left during third you always put your legs on top of me when we sat on the couch. You never just curled up by yourself" He tells me. I laugh and move my legs, putting them on his lap.

"Better?" I ask him and he nods. "Good. Now what are you doing up this late good sir? What are you reading?" I ask and he passes me the book. "The Bluest Eye?" I ask him reading the title.

"Yeah, it's a muggle book that Sirius got for me during the summer. He got me 20 books because he knew I liked them so much" He puts a book mark in the book and sets it aside. "Has Harely ever gotten you anything?"

"A ring" I tell him and he looks up at me.

"Did she already propose?" He asks me and I shake my head.

"Not yet but Liz accidently let slip that Harely has a good taste in jewelry and that she knows how to pick it out. I was able to put it together myself." I smile and he nods.

"Are you gonna say yes?" He asks me and I nod.

"Yeah but I want to wait till after Summer, I want to be 17 when we get married. Then we can do a magic wedding and stuff" He nods. "I think we're only getting married young because we don't know what will happen next." I explain

"What do you mean?" He asks me and I stop for a moment. I think and then I start to explain

"We don't know if we'll live or die, make it to 20 or make it to 100. All I truly know is that if we can make it to 100 and we are still married I'll still be happy. She means the world to me, she has helped me through so much."

"That's really sweet. I know that she loves you as much as you love her. And you guys seem happy, you've gotten into one fight, but in a relationship if you don't fight you're hiding something. If you fight too much is also a problem but you guys have been together about 4 months with one fight." He lists off. I smile and roll my eyes.

"I just want to spend the rest of my life with her, she makes me a better person and I can't imagine things without her" I smile. There was a creak behind me and I turn around. Harely was standing there.

"You mean that?" She asks me and I nod.

"Of course. I love you" I tell her and she walks over to me and I stand up to pull her into a hug. We stand there for a moment. I had my eyes closed and I know we were swaying lightly. We had done this a couple of times back home, but with music. This time felt just as nice, the fire crackling served as music.

"Well then, Maddy Potter" She pulled away from me. She got on her knee pulling something out of her pocket. "Will you become my wife? I want to live the rest of my life with you by my side. We are young, we are in danger, we don't know what is going to happen. All I do know is my love for you and no evil force can take that away." She says and I feel tears form in my eyes. I smile and nod. She takes the ring out of the box and puts it on my finger. I smile and she stands up to hug me again.

"I love you so much Harely. I want to spend my life with you, that's truly all I want. We can be in danger, we could die at any moment, but truly any moment with you is better than one without. Till death do us part" I smile and she hugs me again.

"You are such a nerd and I love you." She tells me and I pull away.

"Remus look at the ring" I show him and he looks at the ring on my finger. It was pretty and simple. But it wasn't about the fancy ring, it wasn't about when or where or how we got married. All that matter is that we will be together.

"It's nice, Harely does have good taste. I know you two are happy but we should get to bed. You can tell the others tomorrow" he smiles and we nod. "Get some good sleep both of you, and congratulations" and he walks off to the boys side of the dorms. Harely grabs my hand, kisses and leads me back up to our dorm. This time I lay down with her in her bed. I grab her hand with mine and just hold it, laying there staring at the ceiling and thinking.

We can't have kids, we have to be followed everywhere, and if anything we might have to go into hiding. We can't have the life that most get to have, but honestly? That's okay. A life with her is better than a life without. She is all that matters

Edited and rewritten 11/2/20

Yes I know gay marriage wasn't legal back then but it's a story