chapter 46

James' prospective 

The next morning I woke up. I sit up and I get scared for a moment. I saw something move but then I remember it was just Sirius. His bed was moved into my room last night before the meeting, and he scared me because I was used to my room being empty except me. 

"Paper towels" Sirius mumbles in his sleep. I take my pillow and chuck it at him. He bolts up and looks around. "Merlin's jacket. James, mate what was that for?" He asks me and I laugh. 

"You were sleep talking mate. Come on, let's get some breakfast and see what the girls want to do today" I tell him smiling. We could already hear people awake downstairs. We walk downstairs and sure enough there was about 10 people there already. Harely was sitting at the table playing chess against some older witch while others were watching them, eating toast, eggs, bacon and sausages. Maddy however was standing in the corner eating a bowl of cereal. I grab a bowl myself and stand next to her. 

"There's a seat open" She says in between bites, pointing her spoon at the open chair. I shrug. 

"I'd prefer to stand. Why aren't you sitting?" I ask her and she shows me the back of her leg. She was wearing shorts so it wasn't hard to see the large cut like thing on the back of her leg leading up to her thigh. "What happened?" I ask her. 

"This morning I was going downstairs with Harely and she had to run a get something from upstairs. She went to get to grab it and in that time someone apparated to the bottom of the stairs and it scared me so I slid down the stairs and scrapped up my leg" She tells me, still eating her cereal as she talked. 

"Ouch, why haven't you had mom heal it yet?" I ask her and she shrugs. 

"You tell me where mom is I'll ask her." I look around and realize mom wasn't there. She normally was either in the kitchen, garden, or living room. After breakfast I finally find mom in the attic. 

"Mom what are you doing up here?" I ask her. She was sitting in front of a box, looking at what was inside. 

"Oh hello James, the attic is going to be used as another bed room so I decided to clean it up a bit and move some of the boxes. I guess I lost track of the time looking through old things" She smiles and she waves me over. She had a stack of pictures in her hand. She shows me the top one. "This is of you and Maddy when she was 1 year old, it was her birthday" I look at the picture. 

Baby Maddy was sitting in a high chair, little party hat on. I was standing next to the high chair in little dungarees. I had a little party hat on as well and I was looking at Maddy, it was moving and all I kept doing was smiling at Maddy then looking at the camera. Maddy was smashing her hands into the piece of cake on her tray. 

"This one was at your first quidditch match that we took you to" She hands me the next picture. 

Maddy and I were standing next to each other, waving little flags and bundled under hats, scarves and gloves. 

"We look like we were suffocating mom" I laugh and she laughs too. 

"We didn't want you to get cold. Oh this one is my favorite" And she didn't even have to tell me when it was, I already knew. 

We were in our door way. Our trunks standing next to us. This picture unlike the rest weren't moving. It was Maddy and I on our first day of Hogwarts, we were hugging together. I remember Maddy hugged me, whispering to me that she was scared but ready. I told her she would be okay. 

"Hey mom can I keep this one?" I ask her and she nods. I slip it into my pocket. 

It was a few months later that we were going back to Hogwarts, for our final year, all of us were either 16 or already 17, or in Maddy's case 15. Liz was already crying on the train. 

"Liz it's alright" Maddy reminds her and she just cries into a tissue. 

"I just can't believe it's our final year. I really can't believe it. Remember our second year? I said I was going to be upset when this day came long and now it's here and I'm upset" She sniffles. Rose wraps and arm around her. Rose was right next to the door, Liz on her left, Harely on her left and Maddy near the window. Remus was across from Maddy, Sirius across from Harely and I was across from Liz. The door opened and we all looked up, Lily was there. 

"Can I sit with you all?" She asks us. 

"Of course, but you'll have to sit next to James" Maddy says shrugging. 

"I don't mind that at all" Lily smiles and she sits down next to me. Maddy looks at her. 

"Are you alright?" Maddy asks her. 

"Of course why do you ask?" Lily asks confused. 

"You are willingly sitting next to James Potter, the boy you have hated since first year" Maddy reminds her. I kick her with my foot and she kicks me with hers. 

"Maddy you were gone for a while a lot has changed." Lily tells her shrugging. 

"That makes sense I guess. I mean, a bunch of us are dating now. Maybe some day you two will go on a date for the first time" Maddy teases, I blush and so does Lily but Lily doesn't say anything. 

"That's not a no Evans" I smile at her and she rolls her eyes and laughs a bit. 

"Let's change the subject shall we. How was France Maddy? I know you sent me letters about it when you got back but I want to know everything that you didn't already tell me" Lily smiles and she faces towards Maddy. 

It still wasn't a no. 

Edited and rewritten 10/29/20