Chapter 3

Maddy's prospective

We continued to watch the sorting, which in most of that time I just stared ahead pretending to pay attention. As soon as the last kid was put into Hufflepuff the hat got whisked away and the headmaster stood up. I had met Dumbledore maybe twice in my life time, once when I was 6 at a party, where he had showed up, told my parents that we needed to get out and than left. I don't remember why we needed to leave, everyone was really scared and James wouldn't let go of me the whole time. The second time was when we got our letters, Dumbledore asked me if I thought I was ready, I told him I was. 

"Good evening to all. And welcome to Hogwarts. For those who are older, welcome back. And for those who are especially young, a special welcome to you." I swore when he said that he looked straight at me, a few others looked at me, I believe they could tell from the fact that I was a lot smaller than the others. "Now before we start the feast we have a few things to get out of the way. Flich has asked me to share that there is more items on the ban list including yodeling yoyos and shrinking teapots. If you would like to see the full list, it is outside of his office."

"There's a list?" James whispers to me. 

"Yeah of course, students bring loads of things they aren't supposed to" Remus tells us. I frown, I was gonna answer. James bites his lip and continues to look forward. 

"Now that that's out of the way. Tuck in" And suddenly food filled the plates. I looked around at all of it. Yes we had lots of food at home, but never this much. We had a house elf who made good food but not as good as all of this. Full turkeys, mashed potatos, shepards pie, and so much more. James looked at me than looked at the table and started to serve himself, I followed suit. After we thought we were full, the food disappeared and desserts filled the table. Puddings, pies, tarts, cakes, jellos and ice creams. 

"This is so much" I tell James. 

"This is nothing compared to what I've had before" Sirius tells us, I frown yet again. Were they going to keep doing this? After we were truly stuffed and the food disappeared yet again we heard

"First years Gryffindors follow me to the common room." From an older student who had a prefect badge on. We walked up what felt like a million flights of stairs, passed pictures that talked to us, and what felt like hundreds of doors, we got to a painting of a fat lady wearing a pink dress. 

"We have to walk that everyday, I feel like I'm going to pass out" Complained James. 

"That and plus whatever we do for classes" Remus tells him. I didn't even look at them this time. 

"the new password is Boiling Pot, don't forget it because that's how you get in everyday." and it opened up revealing a small hallway into a large room. I looked around and saw chairs by the fire and tables. I went and sat at a table and started to read my book, others walked up the stairs to their rooms, some came back down with chess boards and books. I had kept my book in my pocket of my robes, my mom had put an extension charm on it so I could carry everything I needed in my pockets, I mostly kept my book, wand, and parchment in it. I was scared that if I put a quill and ink in there it might open up.

"Really the first chance you get you read" asked James coming and sitting down next to me. I smiled softly without looking up at him, the other two weren't near us.

"What do you want to finish you text book tonight" asked Sirius as he sat down as well, I had spoken too soon. I sigh

"Yes I am because it is fun and I only have 10 pages left." I said, not looking up but dropping my smile. 

"You started that this morning" James reminds me. I laugh softly. 

"I know James, it's really good you should take a look sometime" And he laughs ruffling my hair. 

The boys sat and talked for a while, I didn't listen but I saw James whispering some stuff to the others while looking at me. I got up and left once I was done with the book, James smiled and told me goodnight. The other two began to say goodnight but I walked away from them. I walked up to the girls staircase to the dormitory and saw a sign that said

"1st years" it was at the top of the tower. I walked in and saw three girls talking.

"Hi you are Maddy right I am Lily. Lily Evans." Said the girl with flaming red hair. " This is Rose and Liz." She said pointing to the other two girls in the room. I just waved. 

"I am Maddy." I wave to them, and they wave back. I went to the last open bed and grabbed my PJs and changed in the bathroom. I went back into the main room and when I started to fall asleep, after starting to read another book, I  the girls were still talking.

I woke up the next morning with Liz talking loudly and Rose walking around, she some how already lost something on the first day. I got ready for the day, trying to stay out of their way the best I could, and found James and Remus waiting for me at the bottom of the stairs.

"Good morning" said Remus, I ignore him completely.

"Good morning James. How are you" I asked, he looks at me in a disappointing way and I sigh. "Good morning Remus."

"Good morning" He says happily. "We better go to make sure Sirius doesn't end up in too much trouble" He tells us. 

"Where is Sirius?" I ask. James had an evil look in his eye. "James really on the first day just tell me you aren't thinking of using our spell for evil." I said.

"Maddy Potter you know me so well and not evil just a joke well more of a prank." He said tapping his fingers together in an evil way.

"What do you mean your spell?" Remus asks confused, he looks at James. 

"Oh I just was thinking before we came here and I was fingering my wand then all of a sudden I said a couple spells and it made a new spell that we didn't tell anyone about that made it so people started to turn into some sort of animal. James figured out how to make it into a liquid." I said eying James.

"Ok you caught me I sent Sirius down and he brought the potion and slipped it into the food when it was in the kitchens." He said pretending to hang his head in shame.

"Really James on the first day well I guess I won't have breakfast then." I tell him. 

"Don't worry Sirius isn't putting it into the Gryfinndor food only the others. I bet the Slytherins turn into pigs." Said James. We went down to breakfast and we sat down. I grabbed a cup of tea and then all of a sudden. Poof,poof,poof people all around me where turning into different animals some multiple animals at once. Then I started to turn into a cat and then back to human. Others while staring at each other stared at me as I went back and forth. People went back to normal but I didn't, I was still a cat. 

"hey look at the girl at the Gryfinndor table she is still a cat." People began to laugh, even though they were all just animals, the staff had noticed what had happened but stopped helping when everyone turned back, they started to walk towards me. I heard someone else yell

"Hey stop it!" it was Sirius.

"Stop it I don't need your help" I said to him.

"No you do I need to help you" he said to me. The hall was silent.

"Sirius I need to do this on my own. I can fight my own battles" I said my voice falling a bit.

"Can you I mean look at you. You are a little girl." People started laughing again and I felt like the world was crashing down. 

Edited and rewritten 9/18/20