Chapter 58

James's perspective

"Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to mourn the loss of a very special soul. Harely Potter. We lost Harely last week and in leaving Harely left many people, her wife, her friends, and her family. We never wished to loose anyone else in this war, and I know that her death will never be easy on anyone. I also know that her widow would like to share a few words" Maddy who was sitting next to me stood up. We were all crammed into another Order Member's home. 

After the fight we knew we couldn't go back to the Lupins. We went from house to house, never spent too much time in one place. We buried Harely next to Arrow in the graveyard, back in Godricks Hollow. But when the thunder came around we knew we had to leave so we were finishing the service in a house. 

Maddy stood next to the fireplace, she was wearing a short black dress, poofy and it was strapless. It looked like her wedding dress. 

"Hi everyone. Well all of you know who I am of course. And all of you knew my lovely Harely. Oh she meant the world to me. I've known her since 2nd year. She was a transfer from America, and she stole my heart right away. She could make any of us laugh or smile if we had a bad day. We got married two weeks ago, and in those two weeks I was able to love her unconditionally, love her always and we almost were never apart. She meant so much to me, and we were finally both happy. I mean I still can't believe this happened. One moment you're walking down the isle and the next you're next to her casket. I mean this is my wedding dress" Maddy laughs to herself. No one else made a sound. "I mean we were supposed to be together forever, we were supposed to win the war and make it to old age, and be together. We were supposed to be together" Maddy says and she breaks down sobbing. Lily rushes to her side, supporting her as she cried her heart out. 

"James why don't you say something?" Liz asks me and I nod standing up. 

"Harely was more than just my sister in law, she was a smart girl. She had a kind heart, she cared about everyone in this room and more. She died protecting me" Maddy looked up at the last sentence. "We were out on the field, spells flying everywhere, people going down left and right. I saw Harely standing there looking around and firing spells. I saw a spell get shot towards her and I moved to try and be in front of it, but she sent a spell against me. She made sure that I was out of the way, she moved me out of the way and got hit in return. I was there with her in her final moments, before Maddy came outside. She made me promise to take care of Maddy." I say, feeling tears roll down my face. We all sat in silence. 

"I remember back in third year she taught me how to dance because I didn't know how. She made me promise to never forget" Sirius spoke up. 

"In our fifth year she taught me how to make cookies, and I was forced to promise that I wouldn't share the recipe" Liz says, laughing a bit. 

"She showed me her secret hiding spot for sweets in the common room, she told me I could take whatever I wanted but made me promise not to show anyone" Remus tells us. 

"She was a girl of promises" Maddy said from the floor, still crying. After a while and a few stories we all moved out of the living room. 

"Hey Liz and Rose, can you grab Maddy and Lily and bring them into the kitchen?" I ask and they nod. Moments later we're all in the kitchen, Maddy and Lily knew what was happening. Even though Liz and Rose had plans to move to America together we knew that they would be tracked down for information. So it was planned that after the funeral they would floo powder to Dumbledore's study, wiped clean of memories of us, and sent off to America. 

"What's up?" Liz asks us. 

"Well, as you know we are, well we are" I say pointing to Lily, Maddy and I. "We're in danger" 

"We all are" Rose says. 

"Well I mean we all are but we are more than you" I say trying to figure out how to put it. 

"Dumbledore has come up with a plan where you get your memories wiped of us and sent to America. It's so you can't be tracked down for information. You won't remember us but you'll remember everything from Hogwarts and each other but to you we will just be vague people who you never truly knew" Maddy says arms folded, nose still red from crying. 

"What? No, I want to remember you guys! I don't want to forget you!" Rose exclaims. I sigh. 

"We don't have a choice. But once this is all over, after get you know who, then we will come for you and lift the spell. Dumbledore says maybe two to three years" I tell them, they both have tears rolling down their faces. 

"But what if it takes longer than that? What if something happens to one of you?" Liz asks. 

"Nothing will happen to us" I assure her. 

"That's what you said after the wedding!" Liz yells at me. My stomach drops, I did say after my wedding that we would be okay and nothing would happen to us. 

"Liz I am sorry, but I will make sure that these two make it out alive" I tell her pointing to Maddy and Lily. 

"Three" Lily whispers in my ear so no one else could hear. I look at her in her eyes and she nods softly. 

"I don't want to go" Rose says, crossing her arms. 

"Rose, Liz, you are two of my best friends and I want to keep you safe. I promise everything will be alright" Maddy assures them. They both look at her. "Come here" and she pulls them into a group hug. The three of them stand there for a moment. "I know you won't remember this but you will both be okay and we will come for you. We'll be happy together and we will be alright, I promise. Now come on, few more hugs then you need to get to Dumbledore." Maddy says. We all hug them, Sirius and Remus get a few hugs then we walk to the fire place, and watch both of them go. 

I never knew we would never see them again. 

Edited and rewritten 12/14/20