Chapter 26

Maddy's prospective

I slam the door in my friends and brother's faces. Why is a party so important. Last time there was a sort of party Remus tried to kiss me, well that's not true. The last time we had a party was after the Quidditch finals, we won and got the house cup, and Sirius went a little over board and got caught on fire. I don't want that again, both Remus trying to kiss me or Sirius catching on fire. I go back to my bed, I sit down and grab my book. I stare at the pages but I wasn't taking in any sort of information. 

"Maddy?" There was a knock at my door and it opened, it was my dad. He sat down next to me. "Hey" says carefully grabbing the book out of my hand and placing it down next to me.

"Hey" I mumble. He looks at me. 

"What was that about" He asks. I don't look at him. "Come on kiddo, you can't be sad it's your birthday. 

"James knows I hate parties. And you know that, I was going to put that aside but they way Liz and Rose starting talking to me as if I was 7 it made me feel like the guys actually care that I am younger." I tell him not looking at him.

"Didn't you guys have parties at school?" He asks me and I shrug. 

"That was different. Parties at school was always celebrating someone doing something exciting, or the team winning a game. It was never just about me, that's what I hate about my birthday. People make it all about me and act like I am so exciting but I'm not." 

"You are a very exciting person you know that right? You are smart and wonderful and just exciting. Everyday we spend with you we are happy as can be Maddy. Your mother and I are glad that we had you, we never will feel different about that" He smiles at me. I look at him.

"Even when we didn't listen to you guys and I broke the shed. Even when James crashed into the kitchen window on his broom? Even when last summer we accidently set fire to the back yard?" I ask him and he laughs a bit. 

"Fire last summer and kitchen window were nothing bad Maddy. The shed however I still don't why you didn't listen to us, you usually are better than that" He looks over his glasses to look directly into my eyes. James got his eyes, both had bad vision and couldn't see without glasses. I got my mom's eyes and I only needed reading glasses. James always told me I was the lucky one because I only needed glasses half the time, but if I am being honest I never wore my glasses while reading. 

"James wanted to have fun and do our normal tradition" I shrug looking away. 

"What about you? What did you want to do?" He asks me. 

"Stay inside and read, drink hot coco" He sighs. 

"You need to stop doing what James wants you to do and you get to do what you want to do" he tells me and he stands up. "Except you do need to enjoy your party that your friends threw you. That's the last thing that James wants you to do that you need to do" He tells me smiling. 

"Fine but I'm not going to have fun" I say sticking my tongue out. 

"Of course not" He laughs and he leaves my room leaving me to think about what was going to happen next. 

James' perspective

We sat downstairs, we as in Sirius, Remus, Lily, Harely, Liz, Rose, and a few kids who we grew up with and of course our family. We didn't see them much during the school year because some went to schools in different places or they were slightly older than us and were in different houses/years at Hogwarts. We were making small talk while waiting for Maddy. Liz and Lily were making final details to the cake in the kitchen. 

The cake was amazing, it was a book with a broom balancing on top with a snitch on the top of the handle. All the girls worked on it, they didn't want the house elves to work on it. So the girls came over at 7am to work on it, it was now 1pm. Not surprisingly Maddy didn't really come out of her room today. 

Even on a normal day when our friends weren't here Maddy stayed in her room, reading some sort of book. She enjoyed her own quiet time without other people. But now was the time that she needed to not do that. But luckily at that moment I saw her start to walk down the stairs that led up to her room. 

She was smiling at everyone so whatever dad did was either making her smile or she is forcing herself to smile. She walked down in her favorite sun dress, it was flowy, had sunflowers all over it and it was enchanted to have a bee fly from flower to flower on it. She smiled and walked up to some of our friends. She started chatting and Sirius walked up to me. 

"Well she came out of her room, who's the bloak she's talking to?" He asks me holding a cup of punch. 

"That's Tommy Jenkens. He's a fourth year at Durmstrang. He lives about two streets away." I tell him and Sirius nods. 

"Who's the girl in the corner?" He asks pointing to someone who was standing in the corner, I look over at where he was pointing. 

"That's Arrow, Maddy's friend who she's known since we were really young. She goes to school in America so we don't see her much. She isn't the most social person ever" I explain. Maddy stops talking to Tommy and I watch her look around the room, she spotted Arrow and ran over to her. They hugged and smiled. 

We wouldn't see Arrow after this party. We didn't know what that would mean until later. 

Rewritten and edited 10/11/20