chapter 53

Maddy's perspective

I woke up some where warm. It was quiet, I felt my skin tingle from just being healed and it seemed like everything was fine. Seemed like. 

I sat up, looking around to try and figure out where the hell I am, and where were the others? I was in some where that felt like a small house, there was a fire in front of me and I was on a couch. A blanket covered me and there was no one around at that moment. I went to stand up, and realized that my leg hurt too much to even walk. 

"You got hurt pretty bad" I turn around and there was a woman I had never met before, looking at me. "Sit back down Maddy" she told me. I nod and sat back down, I oddly trusted her. "I haven't seen you in a while" she tells me. 

"I'm so sorry but who are you again? I can't seem to remember" I tell her and she laughs slightly. 

"Mrs. Lupin. Remus's mom" She smiles and then I remember. I had met her in the summer between first and second year for a moment while we came to pick up Remus. Since then she sent us letters and packages but I hadn't seen her since then. 

"Oh, I'm so sorry I couldn't put your face to your name" I tell her and she nods, sitting next to me. 

"It's alright dear. How are you feeling?" She asks me. 

"My leg hurts and so does my head" I tell her and she nods, she reaches for my leg and I realize I was wearing someone else's clothes. She lifts up the pant leg and I see a long scar running up and down the side of my left leg. "What happened?" I ask her. 

"We couldn't fix your leg, there was too many pieces missing so we put a metal piece in your leg. You are now part robot" She tells me, laughing a bit at the last part. 

"How did I loose pieces of my leg?" I ask her. And she bites her lip. 

"When your house went down you were near it and it threw you backwards, it cut open and shattered your leg. You were brought here and have been on this couch since" She tells me and I look around. 

"And where is here? And how long is since?" I ask her. 

"This is our house. And you have been half awake half not for a week. You finally got up today." She tells me and I look around again. 

"Where are the others?" And she smiles softly, she points out the window. I look out and I see Remus, Sirius and James sitting on a bench outside, talking and Sirius smoking. Without thinking twice about the pain in my leg I run outside and towards them. They all look at me and James stands up when he sees me. I latch onto him and he hugs me back. 

"Maddy" Remus says from beside us. After a moment with James I turn and give Remus and Sirius a hug. 

"You guys are okay" I say softly. 

"Yeah we're okay" James smiles and I give him another hug. Then it hits me, mom and dad. Where were they? Where was Harely? And Lily? Were they okay? I think James could tell I was panicked because he started to hold on tighter. "Hey hey hey it's okay, we're okay" He tells me. I pull out of the hug. 

"Where's mom and dad? Where's Harely and Lily? Are they okay?" I ask him and he looks at me. 

"Harely went out with Lily, Liz and Rose today. She had been by your side so much and we told her to go out for once" James tells me. I look at him, dead in the eyes. 

"And mom and dad?" I ask him. He bites his lip and drops eye contact, I knew what that meant. I knew him all too well to know what he was gonna say. "No, no, no, no that's no. No James, please no" I say but I knew deep down, they were gone. 

"We tried to find them, but the house went down and they never made it out alive" Remus tells me. I sit down right where I was, directly into the snow, ignoring my clothes being soaked. So many things went through my head

"What about our house? Did we loose everything? Have you been back yet? Did anyone else get hurt? What about the order? What happens next?" I ask trying to have one clear thought. James sits down next to me and wraps his arm around me. 

"I know you have so many questions but let's go inside, you are wearing Remus's clothes and they're getting soaked. Come on let's go inside" James grabs my arm and lifts me up off the ground, and getting help from Remus they bring me inside. We end up in what I assume is Remus's room. 

"I can get you a new set of pjs if you want" Remus offers me and I shake my head no. "Alright then" James sits next to me on the bed and Remus and Sirius stand next to each other holding hands. 

"I am so sorry Maddy. We ended up loosing everything except a few things. We went back a couple of times, digging through the rubble. We still have the things in our trunks back at school. We lost four people,  Emily Gewn, Brian Ander, Maria Pins, and Darin Kenndey. The order has had one meeting at Hogwarts since the attack, and apparently according to some others who are spies, they think that we died. And for now we are hiding out here, we might go back to Hogwarts but we might not." James tells me and I look at him, I could feel the tears falling down from my face. 

"We have to go back. Mom and dad want us to finish at Hogwarts" I remind him and then the second wave of shock rolls over me. "Or, they did want us to finish." And he grabs my shoulder and pulls me into a side hug. The door opens behind us and before I can even turn around someone is grabbing onto me and my nose is filled with the scent of vanilla and cotton flower, Harely. 

"Maddy" She whispers grabbing me and pulling me into a hug. I hug her back and we sit there, no one saying anything just together in the moment where we were. I didn't feel anything else, sad, hurt, scared, worried, angry, nothing but the feeling that I always felt around Harely. 

Safe

Edited and rewritten 11/21/20