chapter 11

Remus' prospective

Maddy left us slightly after that. James finished changing and washing the blood off of his face and his hands. He looked at his hands for a while, they were bruised and so was his face. 

"Do you want me to heal you up?" I offer him, he looked away from the mirror he was looking into and looked at me. He stops and thinks for a moment before shaking his head. 

"Nah it'll heal soon enough. Just hoping it'll heal before Christmas or mom will kill me. She hates it when we fight, she can deal with the pranks and me getting detention but she can not deal with us fight. The one time Maddy and I got into a physical fight we got grounded for 4 months, I wasn't allowed to play with kids or ride my broom and Maddy wasn't allowed to read any books. Well that was until she started writing down books from memory on every piece of parchment we had in the house." He tells us and he laughs a little at the memory. 

"Is anyone else in your family smart like her? I mean not to be rude mate but compared to her you aren't the smartest apple in the bunch" I ask. He laughs a bit and shrugs. He went over to his bed and laid down, staring at the ceiling. Sirius was in his bed just looking around the room. I was sitting on my bed, I had changed into my pjs and had washed off the cuts. I was not as hurt as James was, Elizabeth had long nails so those hurt but her brother had a good half a meter on James. No wonder why he was a beater for Ravenclaw, he could take some hits. 

"I mean not really. Our parents are aurors so they are quick on their feet. Maddy and I have been put into danger so many times but our parents have taken care of us and we were never hurt. But the only person kind of close to her, mentally at least, was our grandfather. He created hair potions and was very Muggle Forward. But other than that no one is as smart as she is" He tells us. Something kept nagging me in the back of my head. 

"Well if you guys were never in danger how did she get covered in scars?" I ask. James sat up and looked at me from across the room. He wasn't glaring but his eyes were narrowed and he didn't seem happy. 

"How do you know about that?" He asks me. 

"I just know. She didn't tell me what happened though" I tell him, he continues to look at me in an odd way. 

"Hey how about we change the subject of we go to bed" Sirius offers. 

Sirius' perspective

"Yeah let's just go to bed" James says laying back down on his bed, I saw him still looking at Remus out of the corner of his eye. 

"Goodnight then" Remus says and he crawls under his covers. 

"Night" I say, obviously more cheerful than either of them. I lay down and think about things. Remus and Maddy were both covered in scars, but why? I fall asleep thinking about it. The next morning I wake up, Remus was already gone and James was pulling on some clothes. 

"Morning" I say as I sit up. 

"Morning. What do you want to do today." James asks. I look around and then I look outside, it had stopped snowing and while it had pilled up high I still wanted to go out there and fly. 

"Flying?" I ask, James turns to me and smile. We weren't allowed on the team but we loved flying, and out of the two of us James is so much better than I am. 

"Yes" and we go outside. We get to the pitch and find someone on a broom in the middle of the air just floating, not moving around, just there. They looked like they were shaking, probably scared to be up that high. 

"Hey James. James who is that up on that broom." I ask him. He looks up from his broom and looks up at the person, he squints his eyes trying to see but with his bad vision he couldn't see up that high. 

"I don't know let's find out." And we fly up there and stop in front of the person, it started snowing yet again, making it harder to see . We stop and look to see that it's Maddy. 

"You guys scared me." She says, holding onto her broom even tighter than someone should. 

"Sorry what are you doing" I ask her. She was staring at her broom handle, well it was either her handle or staring at the ground. But with the snow it was harder to see the ground. 

"Well you know just flying" She says and she looked scared. 

"Are you alright?" I ask her and she nods not looking at me. 

"Maddy why are you doing?" James asks her and she shrugs. She looked scared and sad now. 

"I just wanted to be able to fly again" She says and it sounded like she was going to cry. 

"Maddy you don't have to if you are this scared" James tells her and she shrugs, but gasps for air, tears trickling out of her eye. "Maddy just go down to the ground" 

"No James I want to fly again. Let's just talk about something else, what do you guys want to do in the future" She says sniffling. She hadn't let go of her broom handle. She looks up and looks towards me. 

"Uh I don't know. I might want to be an auror" I say the first thing off the top of my head. 

"Just like our parents" She says with a little smile. 

"I want to be a quidditch player" James says and she gives a laugh. 

"Just like you've always wanted" She says and he nods. 

"What do you want to be?" I ask her and she shrugs. 

"I never plan out my future. I mean anything could happen. I could be killed by something stupid or I could die of old age. James could be killed by a monster or be a famous quidditch player. You could die in battle or be known as one of the best aurors there is. No one knows" She says with a little smile. 

"Come on let's go inside it's cold out here" James says, and I realize he was completely dismissing our plans to fly today. Maddy nods and flies down to the ground. 

"Mate, we were going to fly today" I tell him and he looks at me. 

"Not today Sirius. Maddy is upset" He tells me. I frown. 

"Well why is she so upset? I thought she said she liked flying with you?" I ask him recalling the first time I met the pair. 

"I mean, she did. There's a reason why she was scared and why she has scars" And he flies down to meet her at the ground. I frown and fly down to meet them there. 

Edited and rewritten 9/21/20