chapter 12

Maddy's prospective

"Hey Remus whatcha doing." I ask reaching the table he was sitting at. I sit down next to him in the library.

"You know homework. Shouldn't you be doing yours" he asks me not looking up at me.

"Done it already. I got it all done before the ball. Why did you put yours off that is so unlike you" I ask. It was true most of the time him and I got it done as soon as possible. It was easier to do now instead of stressing about it later. 

"Been kind of busy. You know." He says and I feel confused. Before the ball we had half a day off from classes, and it's Sunday now so we had all of Saturday too. 

"Remus are you ok? You seem different. Like your not telling me something." I ask. He looks me straight in the eyes, his expression felt blank and empty. Like he wasn't sure how he felt. 

"No it is nothing" he says quickly and he looks back down at his homework. He's eyes didn't move and neither did he, he was just looking down.

"Remus John Lupin. Tell me what is going on. What ever you tell me I will keep secret you know that" I say.

"I have nothing to tell you. And I know you are good at keeping secrets" he says. He looks me in the eyes again.

"I don't know what you're talking about Remus" I tell him and I feel confused. I wasn't hiding anything from him. 

"Well you still haven't told me why you have a bunch of scars. I don't believe you are a werewolf like I am, so how'd you get them?" He asks me. I bite my lip. "Come on, tell me." he says putting  his quill down. 

"Fine just don't tell Sirius. And don't mention it to James. He hates when I tell people because he feels bad" I sigh. 

"Why does he feel bad?" He asks closing up his book and putting things off to the side so he can focus on what I was gonna say. 

"Because he does. Just listen and you'll find out" I tell him and he smiles. I can't believe this was going to be how I told him. I truly felt bad about the story too. "So it was about 1 year ago give or take. We were outside on Christmas because we have this tradition like I talked about a few days ago where we go outside and play quidditch in the snow. It usually is us and a bunch of kids from other wizarding families, but last year it wasn't. The reason was because our normal Christmas party was canceled due to our parents getting called out on a mission. That was fine and they told us us two couldn't go out there because they weren't there to watch us." I tell him. 

"But let me guess you guys went out anyway?" Remus asks me and I nod. 

"James told me we couldn't let tradition die down. So we got our brooms and we went outside. We had so much fun, it was snowing like it usually does and we loved it. Then James said we could get out the Quaffle. He flew down to get it out of the trunk but whoever used them last, we share the set with other families, whoever used them last didn't put the buldger back properly. It missed hitting James who was on the ground, but I was still over 100 meters in the air. It fly up to me and because I couldn't see it through the snow I couldn't dodge it in time. It knocked me off my broom and I fell off. I crashed into our shed and I broke it. All the wood cut me up. I was knocked out by the time James got to me. He didn't know any magic and he didn't know what to do. So he left me there while he ran to get our neighbors. They weren't home so he ran back to me. By the time our parents got home hours later James had dragged me inside and was trying to bandage me up. It didn't work too well, but my mom used magic and fixed me up." I tell him and he looks at me still slightly confused. 

"If she fixed you up, how come you have all those scars?" He asks me. 

"Our shed had spells on it, so when I crashed the spells stayed with me. One was a protection spell so it protected my wounds, and therefor protected my scars. Mom said she didn't know how to fix it." I explain. 

"How did your parents react to you guys when they got home?" He questions. 

"They were worried at first because I wasn't awake when they got there. But once I woken up and was healed up they were angry. They told us not to go outside and we didn't listen. Dad wanted to ground us, take away our brooms but mom told him that we had suffered enough. James was angry with himself for a while. Told me that it was his fault, and that he had convinced me to and that if he hadn't I would have been fine. I told him not to feel bad because I told him that I wanted to and that I agreed to go. But I haven't ridden a broom since then until yesterday" I say and I go to stand up. 

"Where are you going" He watches me as I stand up. 

"Remus I am going to see Hagrid so you can finish your homework" I tell him, and I grab my bag off the floor. 

"Alright, see you later. I love you" I had already turned my back when he said it. 

"Love you too" I tell him and I walked away, blushing a bit. 

Edited and rewritten 9/23/20