chapter 50

Maddy's perspective

Harely and I walk to our dorm in silence. She grabs my hand, I think she was looking at the ring. It wasn't damaged, though I think James would love nothing more than to break it. Harely, the smart witch that she was, charmed it so it wouldn't break. It was spell proof, break proof, and idiot proof. 

"What the hell happened upstairs?" Liz asks me as I walk into the dorm, Harely right behind me. 

"Someone got into a fight with her brother" Harely says. 

"Well he said I couldn't get married to you and I told him that he isn't the king of love. He has never been in a true relationship before because he's been chasing down the same girl since our first year, and she only said yes because she feels bad for the boy" I tell them. 

"Maddy, Lily is right here" Rose tells me and sure enough Lily was on her bed in the corner. She had her arms crossed, a book in one hand and she was glaring at me. 

"I would appreciate it if you didn't say that, it's not true" Lily tells me and I bite my lip to hold back. 

"Maddy whatever you want to say don't say it" Harely tells me. She could just tell by my face that I was holding back. 

"Actually let's here it Maddy" Lily tells me. 

Harely's perspective

"Okay you want to hear it, you really want to hear it Lily? My brother is a selfish prat who has been chasing you down since first year. You didn't suddenly start liking him, he wore you down enough that you finally gave in. You threw in the towel so he would stop asking. And the is a high chance that after this first and only date, you won't go on another. You will leave his arogant ass in dirt and I will have to deal with him. I will have to deal with the 'Evans broke my heart' bullshit. Because that's what I've had to deal with since first year because you kept saying no. But you didn't say no this time but it won't change anything at all. You won't like him just like you haven't liked him for 7 years" Maddy spits out. Lily puts her book down, stands up and faces Maddy. 

"Are you done? My turn. You Maddy Potter are nothing but a selfish ego manic. You spent three years in France and that didn't change you one bit. You are the same awful girl that you were when you left. You now wearing dresses and makeup doesn't change you, or your god awful attitude. It changes nothing about you and it sure as hell doesn't hide who you are. Lipstick and skirts doesn't hide the awful person that you have always been. I shared a room with you for three years and everyday it took everything I had not to punch you in the face. 'Oh this boy likes me, oh my secret best friend that I never talked about is dead, oh I don't know what sexuality I am so let me rush into marriage so that way I don't have to think about it' Wake up. You think your some great person, never met anyone else with a bigger hero complex than you. Get over yourself, you aren't some special person, you aren't going to save the world. You are just like everyone else here, someone so un-special that a few years after you die, no one will even remember the name Maddy Potter. All that will be left behind is some awful memory that people try to erase" Lily snaps back. 

"You feel better? You finally got that off your chest? Well I'm glad. Glad you were finally able to open up. Anyone else feel any different? I mean for bloody hell Harely do you even want to get married?" Maddy asks me. Her eyes were filled with tears and I felt frozen where I was. When I don't respond she takes her hand, rips off the ring and throws it on the ground. It went under my bed and she walks past me. She walks out of the dorm and we all stay frozen where we were. I'm the first one to move. 

I walk to my bed, get on my hands and knees and bend down. I pull the ring out from under the bed, and blow on it to get the dust off of it. I sit and look at the ring. 

"What the hell happened and where did she go?" Rose asks. I stand back up and pocket the ring. 

"I'll be back" I say shortly. I kept one hand in my pocket wrapped around the ring. 

"Where are you going then?" Liz asks me. I shrug. 

"I'm going to find Maddy. I'll be back" And I walk out of the door. As I make my way downstairs I feel the ring slightly get warmer, I had put a hot and cold spell on it, it getting hotter when Maddy was closer, cold further. Once it was on her hand it went back to normal. After roaming the castle, I finally felt the ring almost burn as I got to the tallest tower. I open the hatch to the roof and there sat Maddy, in the quiet. She was sitting with her feet hanging over the edge, the rest of her behind the railing. 

"Hey Harely" she says softly as I walk closer to her. I sit down next to her and see a few tears escape her eyes. I take her left hand and slide the ring back on. 

"I do want to get married to you. I don't care what Lily said, or what James said, or what anyone else says. I want to get married to you because I love you. You deserve everything life has to offer no matter what. You are beautiful, you are smart, you bring light into my life and without you I would be trapped in the darkness all alone. I want to spend the rest of my life with you" I tell her and she looks up at me. She turns slightly towards me and pulls me into a hug. It was a deep, I love you and you mean the world to me hug. All I could do was return the hug. 

"I love you" she whispers in my ear. 

"Not as much as I love you" I whisper back. 

Edited and rewritten 11/6/20