Chapter 31

Maddy's prospective

I don't know why we were doing this. I was standing out of the great hall, Harely, Liz were by my side on the right side of the doors. Rose, Sirius and Remus on the left side of the doors. James was the only one in the great hall at the moment. I had a back pack on, as did Rose. We needed these to go forward with the plan, and because Rose was shorter than the rest like me we were good enough for this plan. I was nervous as all hell. 

"Remember before Dumbledore can start his speech you have to run in first" Harely whispers in my ear. James was going to charm the doors to open but that was all he could do to start it. He was sitting at the Gryffindor table, waiting for the end of the sorting. If it was anything like the other two sortings I've been to it would take a while. I lean against the wall and struggle not to cry. 

"Hey are you alright?" Liz asks me. I look at her and shrug. "Maddy what's up?" She asks me, I think she already knows. Ever since Arrow died I've been upset almost everyday. No one but James understood why, this girl who I didn't really talk about before was dead and suddenly I'm super upset. 

James understood Arrow was more than just a friend, she was my best friend. We didn't talk much during the school year due to the distance, and I only saw her in the summer when the girls weren't there two summers ago. And this past summer I saw her once, and then she was gone. Before that we were the best of friends, she lived down the street from us our whole lives, because we never moved. She lived with her mom and dad, her brother too old to still be living with his parents. Her family shared the holidays with mine, we had sleepovers and played Quidditch together. When she heard I crashed on my broom a few years back she came to see me as soon as she could. 

I kept thinking about why her, I know what my dad told me but I still don't believe it. She didn't have powers, she didn't come from an important family, I mean she was a pureblood but other than that there was no history of special powers. 

"Maddy what's wrong?" Harely asks me. I realized I was now on the floor and Harely was kneeling in front of me. 

"Nothing" I try and stand up, I fail and land back on my butt. I push off Harely's attempt to help me up and I try again to stand up and I succeed. 

"What's wrong?" Harely asks me again. 

"Nothing" I snap at her. She backs away slightly at my harsh tone. "Sorry I just can't right now" I tell her. I turn towards the door and stare at it. 

Harely's perspective

I don't know what to do for her anymore. I understand she lost her friend but what can I do about it? Nothing. I can't bring her friend back, I can't find who did it, I can't fix it for her. But yet she was pushing us away like it was our fault, like we weren't doing anything about it. 

I remember how this summer sucked, after Maddy and James were told about Arrow Maddy became quiet. She didn't like talking to anyone, and James was the opposite. James talked to everyone about everything expect Arrow. He often repeated topics just to talk. 

On the day of Arrow's funeral only Maddy, James and their parents went. It was a small service and the rest of us weren't invited. After Maddy had just locked herself in her room again, she didn't want us near her. It took about a week before she came out of her room again, she didn't want to talk to us still and it was two weeks before she did again. We didn't have fun like we did the summer between our first and second year, we didn't have fun like we did before Arrow passing. 

Maddy did take me to her grave once, it was a rainy day and I was the only one hanging out with her. Liz, Rose, Remus and Sirius had gone with James to the Quidditch pitch that was a little while away to play with some other kids that live near by. Maddy had said something about not wanting to fly in the rain, and I can't fly so I stayed behind. It was about an hour later that she asked me if I wanted to go somewhere with her, I agreed. She pulled on rain boots and grabbed some umbrellas. We walked and suddenly we were there, she lead me through the cemetery, and then she sat down next to the head stone. And we sat there, she talked to Arrow about everything. I just listened. 

Oh James got a new broom, it's so fast. I said I didn't want a new one, I've had mine for years. Remember when went flying  and accidentally crashed into each other. We both almost fell but we didn't, James laughed his arse off but he was secretly worried. 

I was snapped out of my thoughts of this summer with some clapping from inside the hall.

I watched Maddy just turn towards the door, I sigh and look at the others across from us. Rose and Sirius were having their own conversation softly and Remus looked over at us. He pointed to Maddy and made an 'okay' motion with his hand. I shrug and he shakes his head and shrugs. Suddenly the doors opened making all of us jump, Maddy and Rose both look in before running in, the rest of us following. James was sitting up at the Gryffindor table, grinning like an idiot. We run in, Maddy in front of me and Liz, Rose in front of Remus and Sirius. Maddy stops in the middle of the room and Liz and I lift her up onto our shoulders, Remus and Sirius doing the same for Rose behind us. 

"1, 2, 3! ROSE NOW" Maddy yells at the top of her lungs, she had to yell because everyone was talking, some teachers yelling at us. I look at the head table and I swear I see Dumbledore smile softly as Maddy and Rose pull the cords on their backpacks. 

Edited and rewritten 10/19/20