chapter 54

Maddy's perspective

"Maddy, are you coming?" 

"Give me a moment" 

"You've said that for the past 10 moments" I turn and face Harely, who was talking to me from the door to our room. I was packing up the last few things in my trunk. "Did you check under the bed?" She asks me and I realize I hadn't. She was too good at reading my face because she got down and looked under the bed. She takes a moment, reaches her hand out, grabs something a pulls it back. 

"What is it?" I ask her and she looks at me, and grabs my hand, drops something in it and then pulls her back. I open my palm and see it, a small necklace I had gotten for my 9th birthday, along with my Hogwarts letter. It had a small flower on it, a petunia. 

"I haven't seen that on you since 3rd year. How did it get under your bed?" Harely asks me. The truth was since we got back from Christmas I found it in my trunk, I fell asleep some nights with it in my hand, a small thing that I still had from my parents. 

"I dunno" I lie to Harely. She's been trying her hardest to help me get through this. We lost our parents back at Christmas, had to fight our way to be able to come back to Hogwarts because everyone wanted us to go into hiding, struggled to finish our classes and exams with the constant worry of death around every corner, planning and then attending our parents funeral, and now we were graduating today. 

"Here let's put it on you" She tells me and she takes it from my hand, and puts it on me. She then does another hand brush through my short hair. After two weeks at Remus's before Hogwarts, being trapped inside everyday I ended up cutting off my hair. Harely had found me sobbing on the bathroom floor, my hair around me in uneven piles, my hair looking like I got it cut by a lawn mower. She helped me wipe the tears and then even it out. 

"I love you so much" I turn and face her, looking at her dead in the eyes. 

"I love you too" She tells me and I grab both her hands. 

"No I mean, I love you. I love you so much Harely. You are my reason to get up and get out of bed every morning, you are the reason why I am evening graduating today. You make me smile, you make me laugh, you make me feel safe and loved. You make me feel like I am worth something to someone. You love me unconditionally and you don't expect anything in return but I can't help but love you. You are so amazing, every part of you makes me love you even more. From the way that you laugh, to the way you tap your toes while listening to music, to the way you scrunch your nose when smile. You are a ball of light that travels from room to room, lighting up everyone's day as you go along. You are nothing short of perfect and I am so happy that you are in my life" I tell her. 

"Maddy you are too sweet" Harely says letting a single tear roll down her face. I wipe it away and pull her into a hug. "I love you so much and there are so many reasons why I love you. You could give me a million days and it still wouldn't be enough time. I love you to the point where I don't know if I can ever stop" She tells me. 

"Hey guys we got to go, are you okay?" We pull away to see Rose and Liz at the door. Harely and I laugh a little bit. 

"Yeah just getting a little sappy" I say smiling. 

"Oh okay, I thought you were really sad or something" Rose says and she walks over to us. "Come on then we have to get downstairs for the graduation" She tells us. 

"Wait one moment" Liz says and she pulls out her camera. "One last photo?" She asks and we nod. We stand side by side, smiling and half hugging. She snaps a picture of us and smiles, which drops into a frown. "I'm sorry now I'm getting sappy. You guys are my best friends, you have made these 7 years the best time of my life. I can't help but be sad, the memories we made here are life changing. From the moment we met to this moment right here. I don't know what will happen next in life but I know it will be nothing like this, nothing ever will be. All I ask is wherever life takes us, you won't forget this moment right here" Liz says, tears welling in her eyes. I take the photo from her hand and wave my wand over it. It duplicated into four copies. 

"There now we each have a piece of this moment." I smile handing one to each of them. 

"Perfect. And I hope no matter what that we can still be friends after this. I don't want to loose any of you" Rose smiles and I shake my head. 

"We won't loose each other" I promise her. She smiles and nods. 

"Now come on we need to make it downstairs so we can graduate and then make it to my house. There's only a week till the wedding and then another week till the second wedding." Liz smiles and leads the way downstairs. I grab onto Harely's hand and we meet up with the boys and Lily on our way down to the great hall. I catch a glimpse of the ring on Lily's hand. 

It was about a week after our parents were gone that James realized what I had said about living now, and not waiting till later. So he proposed to Lily, she said yes. We agreed not to have a double wedding but since Harely had asked me first that we would have our wedding first, and then they would. We kept joking that now we only needed Remus and Sirius to get married. 

I knew Remus had a plan to. 

Edited and rewritten 11/21/20