chapter 9

Maddy's prospective

Lily made me go to the ball. I wasn't sure if I wanted too, I tried to stay out of the way of everyone who was older than me other than classes, and the older kids were excited to go to the ball. 

Remus asked me and I was surprised, he said just as friends but it was still a nice gesture. I mean there I was just sitting in the library minding my own business and then boom he showed up out of no where. Well not no where but he scared me.

I didn't have a dress to wear because I didn't really wear dresses. Lily made me order a dress. She said she would have leant me one of hers but since I was two years younger I was smaller. The day of the ball Lily helped me get ready since I was never good with this type of thing, my mom said she would teach me how to do make up when I was older, she said a 9 year old didn't need to know how to put on lipstick.

"You look like James a bit don't you" she says. She was sitting at her desk with a mirror, doing her lipstick. I was finishing up putting my dress on. 

"No not that I know of. Okay I'm done" I say. She turned around and gasped.

"Oh Maddy your dress" she said when I should her what I was wearing. I looked down it was a white dress with lavender top sort of thing. Lily tried to put makeup on me.

"Lily stop I am not going to wear makeup I am 9 years old." I tell her. She stops trying to put it on me. The other girls had gone with some friends from other houses so they were getting ready with them instead of us. "Who are you going with?" I ask her and she fixes up her dress. 

"Severus from Slytherin" she says. We leave a little while later and went down to the entrance hall. Remus looked at me coming down the stairs and gasped.

"Maddy you look really pretty" He tells me and I blush, no one other than family and Lily had told me that. 

"Thank you Remus, you look very handsome" He smiled and we walked towards James and Sirius. They both wanted to go for the food. 

"Maddy you look nice" James tells me. He was wearing black dress robes that mom got him. 

"And you look nice as well" I tell him. 

"What is no one gonna tell me I look nice?" Sirius asks and he fake pouts, we all laugh. Everyone was already walking into the great hall, so many older kids. I believe only half the first years were going to go to the ball. The rule was you had to be up to date on all homework and you had to have not been in detention for the past 30 days, that was announced 45 days ago when the ball was first announced. The boys, well more James and Sirius, had to stay out of detention for 30 days, which was hard for them. 

"Ok Remus you ready" I ask him. He nods and takes my hand. We walk into the hall and I gasped. It looked amazing with the all the decorations, it was like we walked into a dream.

We sat down at a table with Sirius and James, we sat there talking and listening to the music. So many people were dancing but it slowed down when dinner was served on silver plates, course of steaks and turkey, rolls and potatoes with salads and sauces. After dinner Remus took me out to the dance floor and slow danced with me. James danced with me and so did Sirius. At one point I was standing off to the side by myself, Remus went to get us punch and the boys were pigging out again. Elizabeth came up to me and stared at me for a moment.

"Can I help you?" I ask her, confused on why she was there. She had been trying to take Remus away from us for a while now. She would be in the library ask Remus to help her study without us, she would crash into him in the hall and ask him to help her pick up her books, she once crashed into him while holding a cup of coffee, then she said she would clean his clothes if he gave them to her. It was all very weird.

"No I just wanted to tell you something" She tells me. She doesn't say anything but looks me up and down, like she was sizing me up. 

"What did you want to tell me?" I ask her. She again looks me up and down before saying something.

"Oh such a pretty dress oops" she said dumping punch on it. The white of my dress was now pink, the punch was sticky and it seeped through onto my skin. 

"What the hell is your problem?" I ask her. She laughs and suddenly some of her friends were next to her. 

"You really think that you deserve Remus?" She asks me. I look around trying to see Remus but I didn't see him anywhere. I couldn't see James or Sirius either. "You are nothing but a child. You may act smarter and act better than the rest of us but in reality you are only here because you are too scared to go without your brother. And now you have dragged Remus and Sirius into your little neediness circle. Without them you are nothing but a scared little baby." 

"Stop it" I yell at her. 

"What? Am I being too real for you? Am I too on the nose? You really don't get it, you are seriously nothing, no one likes you. The only reason why those boys hang out with you and not us is because they feel bad for you. Everyone in this school feels bad for you, a little baby who's too stupid to understand anything, who doesn't know how to act around others so you stay quiet in hopes that you won't be seen. But one day everyone will realize who you are, and they'll leave you and then you won't be seen, you'll be nothing but a memory" 

"Leave her alone!" Lily had come to my aid. She grabs me and brings me out of the hall and back up to our tower. 

Edited and rewritten 9/20/20