chapter 20

Harely's prospective

It was after dinner that Maddy finally came down stairs to the common room. She sat down next to me and rested her head against my shoulder. I looked around the area we were in, we were in chairs and and a couch not in front of the fire but next to it. Sirius was in an arm chair legs hanging over the side with Liz on the floor in front of him. James was on the floor next to a table, Rose in another arm chair sitting crisscross. I was sitting on the couch, Remus in front of the couch laying down to read. 

"Hey Maddy" I smile and she closes her eyes and hums, her cheeks were rosy and that only happened when she was just waking up. "You feeling better?" I ask her and she nods still not opening her eyes or saying anything. "Alright" 

"So Liz are you excited to go to the dance with Ethan?" Rose asks and Liz blushes, she always blushed when Ethan was brought up, such a school girl crush. 

"Oh you're going with Ethan?" Maddy mumbles still not opening her eyes. She seemed tired which wasn't what worried me, what worried was the fact that she hadn't been out of the room since this morning. 

"Yeah I am. He asked me when Dumbledore announced it earlier. Are you sure you're feeling alright?" Liz says just looking her. 

"Fine. He's a Hufflepuff right?" Maddy asks. I move my arm and wrap it around Maddy's waist and Maddy basically melts into me. She was the type of person who would cuddle into anyone at any point. 

"Maddy do you need to go back to bed? You still seem out of it" Remus asks her and she shakes her head again. 

"I'm just comfy" She tells him. And she opens her eyes, turns her head and looks at me. She smiles and closes her eyes again. 

"Okay, let us know if you need anything" I tell her and she nods. "So the ball is in like two weeks" 

"Wait why is it sooner than last year. It was like winter break last time, it's not even Halloween yet" Sirius asks looking up from his book. 

"I don't know Dumbledore is an odd man" James says still writing his essay. 

"I mean he let me in two school two years early" Maddy mumbles. We all laugh slightly and Maddy smiles softly. 

Once the day of the ball comes we all have to get ready.

"But Lily we don't like makeup" Liz complains. Lily wanted to help us so we didn't show up in pants and a t-shirt, even though we managed to look nice enough last year. Lily starts to come towards us with makeup. 

"Come on you'll look even nicer than you did last year" And I gasp. 

"Do you think that we didn't look nice last year?" I ask and she shrugs. 

"I don't even remember you guys last year. It was a while back and we had a pretty shitty time" Lily says pointing to Maddy and her. Maddy was on her bed reading a book. 

"Are you sure you don't want to come with us?" I ask her and she shrugs. 

"Elizabeth won't be there, she got banned from dances remember" I remind her. She nods and looks up from her book. 

"I don't know" she shrugs again. 

"If you come with us I will get you 5 chocolate frogs and a box of bertie beans" I offer her. She looks at me. "Fine 10 frogs, and two boxes" 

"Alright I'll go. My mom sent a dress even though I told her I wasn't going to go" She says putting her book down and starting to climb out of bed. "Lily if you even try to come near me with make up I will not go" She warns. Maddy goes to her wardrobe and pulls out a pretty gold and rose pink dress. 

"Oh that's so pretty" Liz smiles. Maddy nods and puts it on, struggling to pull up the zipper. "Do you need help" Liz giggles and Maddy sighs and nods again. Liz zips her up and Lily looks at all of us. 

"I know I don't say this enough but you are all so beautiful. You are all just so amazing and I am glad to be your friend. Thank you for being my friends" She smiles. She tears up for a moment before going to grab something. "I have my muggle camera. It won't make the pictures move but we can get pictures for each other" 

"That sounds like a good idea" Maddy smiles and Lily snaps a picture of all of us. After a mini photo shoot we decide it's time to go. 

We head out and head to the great hall. We each decide to come out one by one so Liz went first in her black and purple dress. Rose went next in her green and yellow dress.

Liz's prospective

I went after Rose and Harely, who was  in a royal blue dress, I felt like a princess. When I reached the bottom of the stairs Ethan walked up to me wearing dress robes. 

"Malady" He says in a princely voice. He takes my hand and kisses it, I blush. Wow first time in forever that I have felt so nervous and excited at the same time. I turn to wait for Maddy but she doesn't come. I look to the others and see they have a bit of a worried face.

"Maddy was supposed to be right behind me" I say to Ethan.

"Why isn't she coming down" he asks. Remus walks up to us.

 "Have you seen Maddy" Remus asks.

 "As I was just telling Ethan she was supposed to be right behind me" I say getting even more worried for my best friend. I walk back up the stairs and don't see Maddy but I see her high heels. Oh no Maddy always took off her shoes when she was going to run, it was weird but that's how we knew she was going somewhere. I walk down to Harely and Rose. I grab their hands pulling them away from their dates and bring them up the stairs to where Maddy's converse lay.

 "Oh no. Where would she go" Harely asks. 

"I think I have an idea" I say.

Edited and rewritten 10/3/20