chapter 49

James' perspective

It was October 1st when I walked into the common room. Harely was with Maddy on the couch, Sirius with Remus on the floor next to the fire, Liz and Rose playing chess in the arm chairs near them. I sat down in another arm chair near them all. 

"Hey James, how was your evening of head boy duties?" Maddy asks me and I look at her. 

"I asked Lily out again" I tell her and she looks at me. 

"Yeah you always do that" She says kind of shrugging. 

"She said yes" They all stopped what they were doing. 

"I'm sorry, what did you just say?" Sirius asks and I smile, it getting bigger and bigger as I remember the events that had just happened. 

We were walking down the hall, doing our evening duties of checking classrooms and making sure no students were where they aren't supposed to be. 

"So Evans, we've been spending so much time together I wanted to know, will you go on a date with me?" I ask 

"Yes I will Potter" She smiles at me, I stopped where I was. 

"Are you being serious? You will" I ask her to clarify what was just said. 

"Yes James I will"

"She said yes" I felt my heart flutter, or maybe it skipped a beat, or maybe it played a game of hopscotch. I didn't know how to explain it other than pure joy, she finally wanted to go out with me, we were going on a date. 

"Well maybe it's time we should say, Harely and I are getting married this summer" Maddy says showing me a ring on her hand, her ring finger on her left hand. The feeling of happiness left me, this isn't real. 

"You can't get married in the summer! Why do you want to get married, you've been dating for less than a year" I stand up. Maddy sits up a bit more from where she was already sitting. 

"James it's not up to you, it's up to Harely and I. Plus the legal age is 17, and I'll be 17." She reminds me. 

"I don't care Maddy, you can't get married. You just can't I won't allow it" I snap at her and she stands up. Harely tries to grab Maddy's hand but Maddy shakes it off. 

"I am telling you once again it is not up to you James. End of discussion" Maddy growls through her teeth. 

"Once again, I won't allow it" I growl back at her. She glares at me and points towards the stairs. 

"Upstairs now" She tells me and I walk up to my dorm with her on my trail. 

Harely's perspective

"What just happened? Are they fighting? They almost never fight? What is happening? I am kind of scared" I ramble and Remus gets up from by Sirius and walks over to me. He sits down next to me. 

"It's James and Maddy, they are probably just talking things out right now. The will be okay" He tells me giving me a side hug. We hear the door slam shut

Maddy's perspective

I walk into the dorm with James and slam the door behind us. 

"James Potter I am giving you one last chance to change what you said and to change your mind. You do not get to say what you do and don't 'allow'. To be perfectly fair it's none of your business but I thought it was the right thing to tell you" I snap at him. He looks at me, arms crossed and eyes giving me the death stare, which I returned right back. 

"You are a child, Harely is a child and both of you do not understand what marriage actually means." he tells me. 

"And you do! Two years difference between me and you James, that does not mean you are some great person who knows everything" I tell him and he stares at me. 

"I know more than you and I know what being married would mean, it means you two will run off like there isn't someone trying to kill you both, you will try and live a normal life but in this world that can't happen so you two can not get married" He tells me. 

"I can get married to who I want, just because someone finally likes you, after years of you trying to chase them down despite them not wanting to date you, does not mean you know everything about love James. You are the last person I would go to for love advice! You are only now getting a date because she feels sorry for you!" I yell at him, and that's when I knew I messed up.  

James lunged forward at me pushing me into the door. I responded with punching him in his nose. Blood immediately came pouring out onto his lip and down his chin. He wiped some if off before punching my eye, breaking my glasses. I responded with kneeing him in the crouch before pushing him off of me. He bent over in pain but he took that moment to jam his head up and hit my chin. He then went for a punch to my stomach and I bent over in pain. I grabbed his hair and pulled as hard as I could. He grabbed my hand with one of his and clawed at my arm with the other. We thrashed around the room before crashing into a bed. He hit my head against the pole of the bed frame and I grabbed his hair once again to throw him off of me. 

"What the hell is happening right now" A voice said and we both looked up to see Harely and Remus, standing in the door way. "Both of you stop it right now!" Remus yelled at us and I moved away from James. James laid on the bed and didn't move other than breathing. 

"What just happened here?" Harely asks walking over to me. She pulled out her wand. "Repairo" And my glasses fix themselves. "What in the name of Merlin happened to you two. You never fight, let alone physically?" Harely asks in confusion. 

"James kept telling me we couldn't get married" I say plainly. 

"And you told me that Lily is only going on a date with me because she feels sorry" He snaps at me, trying to catch his breath. 

"That's the only thing I said that was true" I hiss at him. 

"Okay both of you, stop it. You are fighting like children." Harely tells us. 

Edited and rewritten 11/5/20