The Beast of Whispers (rainbowofponies)

Title: The Beast of Whispers

Author: WeWereReckless

Rating: R

Genre: Werewolves and Romance

Blurb: You may know them as werewolves, but they have always referred to themselves as the bestia susurros. It was the first name they were ever given, an ancient Latin name meaning “the beast of whispers”. 

It was 1886 in the southern bayous of Louisiana, and Chambray was a low ranking member of a pack with a murky, bloody past filled with lies, betrayals, and dirty secrets. She just happened to be the dirtiest secret of them all. Lachlann Brimmer is a ruthless, practical, emotionless alpha. He has a plan and Chambray definitely isn't included in them. She's just too naive, and a hopeless romantic. Not qualities Lachlann is prepared to deal with, nor has the patience for. Yet, there she is at the corner of every twist and turn.......

Review:

Your story shows a lot of promise, and substance that seems to stray away from the usual werewolf romance types. Don't get me wrong, I meant it in a good way, because it has a fresh twist. The first portion provides a snip of backstory for the main character, coupled with an awesome legend (which I think was better than most werewolf stories out there). You've done really good research and the mythology that you created was brilliant for me :D obviously you had this planned in your head.

Your description's kept at moderate, and I wasn't bombarded with useless observations or nothing much at all. I liked that you keep it informative enough so that we know what's in the surroundings,how the person reacts, etc. It was enough for us to imagine the setting or the happening.  It doesn't stretch out too much, however there was a little info-dump of the backstory here and there.

I like Chambray as a character; she knows her place and she knows how to act upon it without being stupid or careless. A decent heroine to have. She at times, however, seemed childish, but I know it's just a part of her personality. Lachlan was harder to describe, but he comes across as someone who places his duty first and foremost, and very capable. While the story doesn't have the fast-romance element, it does have the typical instant attraction between Lachlan and Chambray.

One last thing, is that proofreading will be good. There's some spelling mistakes here and there, but nothing major. Anyway, your writing was very fluid and solid, and I believe you have a potential to be a professional writer. Keep it up!

I really enjoyed reading your story, and looking forward to more chapters! :D

xx Coleen/rainbowofponies