The Perfect Hair Pin

Gianluca drove to the direction where Sofia had told him to go. The conversation of the name had ended minutes ago and he couldn't get his eyes off from her. He glanced once or twice until he decided to break the silence. "So this is who you truly are."

"Yeah... close enough. Okay, except for the hair extensions." Sofia signaled her long hair.

"Well it's different from what I can imagine you are." Gianluca said, now focused completely at the road. "You know, I feel like talking to you formally now."

Sofia looked at him and said, "If it bothers you, I can take off the hair pin and the extensions." She reached up to her hair and only touched it as Gianluca interrupted her.

"Don't. It's fine like that Miss Sofia Josefina Valenti." He said.

"Just Sofia. I don't really like my middle name." Sofia told him. He glanced at her one more time and laughed.

"Alright. But tell me, did you really cut your hair to become your brother?" Gianluca asked away.

"Not really. My hair was already short. I just got confused with my brother as I wore a beanie when I recently had my hair cut short." She laughed at the memory of that day.

"How can you get confused by a man? You have features of a girl." He frowned.

"I still have no idea. I guess that we do look too much alike if I cut my hair this short." Sofia said and moved away a strand of her front hair back.

"So your hair makes you a man basically." He wanted to ask her that but it came out as a statement.

"Let's just say thst I'm a woman with really short hair." Sofia last said and looked ahead at the road. Gianluca looked at her from the corner of his eye as he felt his heart skip a beat. He swallowed hard and gripped the staring wheel.

"Well... the Jos I know is a man." He said it too loud to himself.

She sat up straighter and turned to face him. "But these hair extensions and pin make me look a bit womanly right?" She asked as she heard him say that, meaning she still looked like a guy just with long hair.

"You're basically telling me that the fake hair and the pin you feel like a woman?" Gianluca asked.

"Um..." she now looked away from him and straight back. "I know that fake hair isn't pretty. And this pin is just too childish." Sofia said in a disappointed tone. She reached up to her head and took off her pin. "Ah man!"

Gianluca then looked over at her and noticed that her pin had broken. "Look at that, not even the pin likes your fake hair."

"I know. You don't have to say it." Sofia just left the broken pin in the cup holder, and moved the strand of hair to the back of her ear.

Gianluca now felt uncomfortable with the awkward silence and began to feel guilty of what he had said. Sofia did too but to their luck, they had arrived. Gian parked the car in front of a small building next to a pizzeria.

"We're here." He said and turned off the car. Sofia grabbed her purse and un buckled her seat belt. "Hey... leave the bag here and just go."

Sofia turned and saw him. "So you're giving me a ride back home?" She asked.

"I'll take you back with me. Will you be taking long?" He asked and looked away as she had smiled at him.

"Um... just give me two hours and I'll be back. Thanks Gian!" She left the bag in the back seat and left.

"Wait! Text.... me." He shouted too late as she had gotten off the car and closed the door. Gianluca saw her greet the doorman in the entrance of the building and lost her once she entered.