Chapter 31 (Rewrite)

I looked over to Lucifer, sitting across me in the ice bath, then at Axel, sitting behind me as I was between his legs. Both of them were in their boxers while I was in my bra and underwear, freezing my ass off in this tub full of cold water and ice.

"I don't understand what's happening," I shivered as I hugged myself. "We're trying to regulate your heartbeat before you die," Axel informed me. I looked at Lucifer still not understanding the situation.

"The cookies you ate can heighten a demon's senses. For humans, despite feeling the high you feel, it can cause your heart to beat faster. Eventually your heart will pump blood so fast that your heart literally explodes. Being in the ice bath will help regulate your heart and keep you awake and sober," Lucifer explains in depth.

"B-but why do you guys have to be in the tub with me?" I shivered as my teeth started to chatter. "I'm keeping track of your pulse and will try to keep you calm if you panic. Lucifer is here to make sure you don't go into hypothermia," Axel spoke as he placed his finger on the side of my neck, causing me to shiver even more.

Looking around the room, I realized I had never been here. We were in a glass room filled with different flowers and plants. My eyes trailed up at the night sky seen through the glass ceiling. "We're in the greenhouse," Lucifer mumbled as I kept looking around.

"Her body temperature is dropping," Axel stated. Lucifer opened his hand for me to take. I lifted my foot from the ice and pushed his hand away. "No. I'm upset with you," my teeth chattered.

Lucifer grabbed my foot and pulled me towards him before turning me around and pulling me into his chest, so I was now staring at Axel, who was laughing. "I thought you forgave me," Lucifer teased as he wrapped his arms around me. A feeling of warmth spread through my body briefly before he released me, causing me to shiver as I felt the cold ice against my skin again.

"That wasn't me. That was my other personality," I joked, causing Axel to snicker. He then stood up in the tub, "Well, I'm going to go shower. I'll see you guys inside," he grinned.

"You're leaving me here with him?" I shrieked. Axel rolled his eyes, "Look, if he gives you any trouble, just drown him," he offered. I let out a groan of annoyance as Axel disappeared. Silence filled the room except for my teeth chattered against each other.

"Why did you buy the cookies and joints?" Lucifer asked in a stern voice. I shrugged, "I guess I was upset with what happened and wanted to try the cookies again," I admitted as I felt a bit stupid and broken.

Silence took over before Lucifer spoke again. "Your heart regulated itself," he stood up before stepping out of the tub and offering me his hand. I shook my head. "If you don't mind, I want a few minutes by myself," I mumbled. He slowly nodded his head and disappeared within a blink.

Despite being cold, I felt my body turning numb. If only my feelings could numb with it, that would be great. My hands gripped the tub's side before submerging my entire body underwater. I felt my body turn ice cold more than possible, but instead of feeling colder, I felt relaxed. 

I closed my eyes and felt my grip release from the tub. I was tired—tired of feeling so many emotions, of thinking I stood a chance with him, of having my feelings hurt, and of this life. Maybe I just needed to shut everything out or at least try to. I know how easily I cave, but I'd do my best to block out everything, including him. I was over this shit... again. 

Sitting up in the tub, I then stood up before getting out. Looking around, I saw a towel folded on a chair. I wrapped myself in it before heading out of the greenhouse. Looking in the distance, I saw the house was about a 2-minute walk away. I headed to the front of the house and stopped before the door once I realized the bottle of pills was still in Axel's car. I opened his door and fetched the bottle from under the passenger seat before wrapping it under my towel. I headed inside and up the stairs to see Axel leaning beside my door.