Chapter 46 (Rewrite)

I sat down at the edge of the cliff and looked out to the sunset. Three hours had passed since I left the house, and quite frankly, I didn't want to go back. I tried to think about what had happened, but everything had my head spinning in circles. All I knew was that I just wanted to disappear. I wanted to pack my stuff and run away, but that never worked. It's like running on a treadmill—stuck in the same place, running constantly.

"You want to run away?" a voice startled me. I didn't turn around because I knew it was Axel. His footsteps ruffled against the pebbles as he got closer to me. He sat down next to me and stared off into the sunset. "Yes," I sighed.

There was a moment of silence, and then he sighed, "I will help you."

I continued staring at the sunset, trying to process what Axel offered. I turned to look at him, thinking I had misheard, but the look in his eyes said otherwise. "Really?"

He nodded his head and turned to look back at the sunset. "Yes. I've seen the way he treats you. You don't deserve that. It's best for your own good and health that you go missing again," he mumbled as if he was remembering something.

"But how? He could sense me, and he could link to me at any moment," I huffed.

"I could perform a ritual on you and keep you hidden, but only for a certain amount of time," he explained.

"How long?" That was the real question.

"1 month."

One month. One month, a lot can happen. It was such little time but a lot all at once. Anything was better than nothing. A wave of relief watched over me as I felt I would be able to breathe again. To find some peace and regain my sanity, hopefully. Axel was going out of his way to help me when he didn't have to.

"You would do all that for me?" my voice cracked. He gave a small smile and nodded. "Throughout your time here, I have learned a lot of things, and you have been a perfect friend to me. You also understand me, which I like a lot," he smiled. I smiled back as he kissed my forehead.

As he pulled away, I watched as his eyes widened with an insane smile, "Can we fake your own death?" he blurted out. I stared at him in confusion. "What?"

"Can we fake your death so he would actually think you're gone?" he explained. "That's really smart, to be honest. Cruel but smart."

"Alright, but for this to all work, I need you to do one thing," he stated.

"What's that," I asked.

"You need to tell your brothers what happened," he stated.

"But -"

"No, no buts, please. I know you don't want to, but it's hurting them. I can feel their pain when I'm around them," he pleaded. I let out a sigh. Part of me was hoping I would have more time or that they'd eventually forget about it. But Axel was right. I saw the way my brothers looked at me. It's the same look you give a toddler when they hurt themselves. You want to take away their pain, but you can't. "Fine. When can we do this?" I asked, referring to the plan.

"Anytime you want," he smiled.

"Can we head over to my house tonight? I could tell them, and maybe they can help with the plan," I asked.

"Sure. I can tell Lucifer we're staying at your house tonight," he added, standing up.

I stood up and hugged him. "Why are you doing this? I know we are cool and all, but why?" I mumbled in his chest, and he wrapped me in a hug.

"Because, unlike Lucifer, I know what feelings are and can see you are in a lot of pain," he informed me.

We then broke off from the hug and headed back to the house. Axel went to find Lucifer while I retrieved my phone from the kitchen. On my way to my room, I pulled up the group chat with my brothers and messaged them.