Chapter 34 (Rewrite)

Skylar's P.O.V

"Are you okay?" James asked, waving his hand in front of my face. I stared at him blankly not knowing whether just to kill him or walk away. "Sky," he called again, still waving his hand before me. I grabbed his hand roughly in mid-air, causing him to stop waving. "Why are you here?" I hissed at him.

It's been about three days since the whole me almost dying on edibles or some shit and needing space from Lucifer. During those three days, I isolated myself from everyone and everything. I never answered my phone or even texted back. I haven't talked to Axel or Lucifer. I spent most of my early mornings and late nights running down the road for 4 miles, then back home.  "I wanted to check on you and see if everything was okay after the whole training event and you and Gabe fighting," he reminded me as I released his hand.

"I'm fine. I'm a big girl," I sarcastically replied. "I know, but I want you to get better, and your behavior suggests otherwise," he observed worriedly. 

"I am getting better. Look," I said, showing him my fully healed arms. He let out a sigh. "I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about this," he said, pulling out a bottle from his pocket. Great. He knows about the pills.

"It was just so I could have energy," I lied as I stood up and paced around the living room. "You shouldn't be scared of sleeping. It's in the past, Sky. I know this may be hard for you, and I can't imagine the pain you must have been in, but it's all over. It would help if you got some sleep. Look at you; your eyes are red, and tired is written all over your face. When was the last time you went to sleep?" he asked.

I just glared up at the ceiling as if I was thinking. I looked down at him and shrugged, "Before last night. I tend to sleep during the day," I lied with a smile. His eyes pierced into mine as he was trying to find the lie. This mother fucker, I swear. "Sky, you're lying. You need to sleep. Why are you not sleeping?" he asked, looking at me across the living room. I stopped pacing and looked at him. It was clear Axel and Lucifer only told him certain things which I was thankful for. 

"I'm just not as tired as I used to be."

He studied me again before standing up. "You're lying. It's okay to talk to me. I'm here for you. Why aren't you sleeping?" he kept asking presentantly. I felt my blood boil as he wouldn't give up.

"Stop treating me like I can't take care of myself. I'm not broken!" I shouted in anger, with my hands flailing up to the air. 

James grabbed my arms by the side, causing me to look up at him. His eyes hinted at pity and sadness. "I never said you were broken, little sister," he frowned. 

"Well," I gently pushed him away, "Everyone keeps treating me like I am. It's exhausting. It's like no one trusts me." And for good reasons, too, but that is beside the point. 

"Look, I know you're in a rough spot, but we're only doing this because we care," he insisted with a soft smile. As if I hadn't heard that before," I mumbled as I recalled the conversation with Lucifer. James's phone rang, causing him to sigh. He released me and pulled his phone out of his pocket before looking at the number. He declined the call, only for the phone to ring again. 

"Just go," I softly spoke as I saw the caller ID was from the organization. "No, I'm-"

"You know they're just going to keep calling you. There's no point. It's okay. I'll be fine," I assured him with a smile. He released a sigh of defeat before hugging me. I reluctantly hugged him back. "I'm going to visit again as soon as possible, and call me if you ever need me," he muffled into my hair as he squeezed me in a tighter hug. "I will." 

"I love you," he kissed my forehead. I love you too... Please let me come home and turn my contacts back on. I also want my motorcycle," I begged, not releasing him from the hug.