0.6

-November 25th, 2016-  

"Chres." Melanie shakes my shoulder.

"Hmm?"

"Wake up."

I turn, laying on my back. "You sleep better last night?" I ask.

She nods, "Yeah."

"Where is little Melanie?" I ask.

"Sleeping in her bassinet." She tells me, looking over at it. We had gotten it cleaned.

It's been about a month since we moved into the apartment. We have the air mattress, a couple chairs, a little table I found on the side of the road, and the fridge and stove that were already in the apartment.

"I have another day off." I smile, looking over at the calender.

"Great." She smiles back. "I'll make breakfast while you shower."

"Thank you." I smile.

"You're welcome." She tells me. "Oh, and Shay wants to come over for lunch."

"That's fine." I nod. "I have to take care of something later, I have to leave around two, but I'll be back before five."

"Okay."

I grab my clothes and get in the shower while she starts on breakfast.

---

"I'll be back in a couple hours." I promise.

"Okay, be careful." Melanie smiles.

"Bye, Shay." I hug both of them.

"Bye, Chres."

"Bye, baby Melanie." I wave at the baby, who laughs in return.

Then I head to my destination.

---

At nine at night, I leave the apartment to handle what I've really been waiting to do all day. Sneaking in the window, I carefully close it. I'm currently in my old room. I need some of my things. I hear my parents arguing with someone downstairs, but I take this as my chance to get my stuff. They were supposed to be gone.

I grab some more clothes, and a couple pairs of shoes.

After I hear the people downstairs leave, I sneak to the basement. In here was a radio, my old one. I have a plan.

Melanie always talks about music, she's always singing. Music is a big part of who she is, so I came up with a plan. The other day, I told her I walked by a house and there was a woman that looked just like her, I was wondering if it was her mom. I asked where she used to live. Now that I have her address, turns out she lived around the corner from where I lived, I can get her CDs.

I put the radio in my bag, it had a CD player. I also grab my speakers. I hurry out of the house, to Melanie's old house. Someone was actually home, so I take a minute to observe. Her stuff is either in the basement, or the room with music notes on the curtains.

I think it'd be easier to get into her room. So that's what I do. When the coast is clear, I get to work.

Opening her window was easy, they didn't lock it. Her room looks like a normal room, except everything is in boxes. There was one marked CDs, and I open it. It was a big box. And it was filled. She had to have at least two hundred CDs.

I put the box in my bag, but it doesn't fit, so I get my duffel bag out. I put the box in there and look around. A locket. She's always reaching up to grab a necklace, but it's never there. She told me how much this locket means to her. It was her grandmothers.