1.1

-December 15th, 2016-

"Hey, do I know you?" A guy approaches me, and I immediately recognize who it is.

"Yeah. Its been about year though." I chuckle.

"How've you been, Santo?" Ray asks.

"I've been good. It's Chres now." I answer. "How have you been?"

"Good." He daps me.

He looks down into the shopping cart and then back up at me. "You have a kid now?"

"Yeah." I nod, I was doing a little more shopping for Melanie and Amoré. So far, I was just starting on Amoré's.

"Congratulations. I know my son is my world. Ain't it the best feeling in the world?" Ray asks.

I smile, thinking about Melanie and Amoré, I meant everything I told Mel. We're a family now. "It is."

"Is it the same girl from middle school?"

"Nah, it's not." I shake my head. "Her name is Melanie."

"That name sounds familiar." Ray notes.

"She went to school with us, I just never really realized it." I tell him.

"Man, I'd love to catch up, but my son is at home with his mom. He wanted some candy. But, here's my number, let me know when you're free and we can get a drink or something. I still have my old connections." He chuckles.

"Yeah, maybe you could even meet Mel and the baby. I think your son is just eight or nine months older than her." I tell him.

"Alright, man." He daps me again before we go our separate ways.

Ray was one of my best friends, since elementary school. We sort of lost contact after I left home.

I finish shopping for Mel and the baby, then I go get some more groceries. I had went to Walmart, since they have food as well as clothes, toys, jewelry, shoes, movies, and CD's.

Then I call a cab on the payphone. Once again, I had too much stuff to carry it all.

"Chres!" Melanie smiles, hugging my waist.

"Hey." I smile, hugging her the best I could with all the bags in my hands.

She eventually lets go, and I bring the bags to the room. I grab everything with food in it and put it in the kitchen. Melanie puts it up while I put the gifts I bought up. I'll wrap them later.

"Chres?" Melanie calls from the kitchen.

"Yes?"

"Can you come here?"

"Yeah." I stand up, walking to the kitchen. "What's up?"

"I'm getting a job." She states.

"Mel-"

"You can take care of us, I know. But I am getting a job. The neighbor said if we need her to, she can watch Amoré. I've been talking to her everyday since we've moved in. I go over there while you're at work sometimes." Melanie tells me.

"Mel-"

"You're not telling me to wait until Amoré is older. I've thought about it for a week now and I'm getting a job."

"Okay, Mel." I chuckle.

"See, I knew you were going to-" Melanie stops. "Okay?"

"Okay." I nod. "If you want a job, then I'll help you look. You don't need to work, but if you want to, then okay."