0.1

I ran up to my room, knowing exactly what was about to happen. My father was drunk, my mother was high. Someone is getting a beating tonight, it's either going to be my father beating my mother, or beating me, or both of them beating me. I don't know how much longer I can take it here.

I gathered my stuff and walked through the door, looking back. My parents looked happy to see me go. The smile they sent made my heart hurt. They never wanted me anyway.

I shot up and looked around. For the two months I've been alone, that's how long I've had this same dream. Sometimes it starts with me being beaten. Well, time to get out for the day, see what I can find.

Walking down the streets, these busy streets. You'd figure one of these rich folks would help some of the begging people. All they're asking for is some pocket change, and all they receive is dirty looks.

I spotted an old man, he had to be in his late-fifties at the least. He was shivering, holding up a small card board poster that read, "In need of change, can't survive the cold." He looked exhausted. I sigh and reach into my pocket, pulling out the twenty I had on me. It's been two months since I've left home, and I've managed to get buy without using or losing it. I can't let this guy die out here.

I walked up to him and got his attention. "Sir, how about I get you a cup of coffee, it's a bit cold out here." I suggest.

"Thank you, son. I appreciate that." He smiles up at me, standing up. He gathers his bags up and we walk into the little coffee shop. I bought us both a large cup of coffee and muffin. It was only fifteen dollars, so I had a left over five. I'll have to use this wisely.

We gathered what was ours and before we part ways, the man told me something I will never forget. "You're a good man. Expect great things to come to you. I can tell your in my situation, and you still bought me a coffee. Your life will change for the best." He smiled at me, before sitting where he previously was. I smiled and took one more look, seeing him enjoy the small amount I could buy.

I turned and continued walking around, looking for anything I could find. I pulled my back pack up, securing it on my back.

When I reached the bridge, I heard the quiet screams of a girl. And maybe faint crying, I'm not sure. I ran in the direction of it, pulling out my pocket knife and hiding up the sleeve of my hoodie.

"Please don't hurt her." The young girl pleads. The mans back was turned to me, I knew it was guy because he had broader shoulders and a tall build.

"Shut up, she's my daughter too. You don't deserve her." He growls, turning around, only to be pulled back by the girl.

"You're not taking her." She says sternly.

"Who are you to tell me what to do?" He scoffs. "You know what take her, I don't want either of you, both of you are a mistake. That I'm about to take care of." He pulls out a gun. And that's my cue.

I walked behind him quietly, when I reached him, I kicked his back and he fell on the ground. I looked at the young girl and signaled for her to come with me, but she hesitates. "We don't have much time before he wakes up." I tell her, not sounding harsh, but protective.

She nods and picks up a few bags. I took them from her. "You get her, and I'll care your stuff." She wasn't to sure about coming with me, but she followed anyway.

I led her to where I stay. We had to go through a small hole in a fence, which was difficult. I put the bags through first and then stepped in. You couldn't really go over the fence, because it was about six feet tall, and there were trees all around. I do stay in the woods, it's better than staying in the streets, and much safer.