0.7

By the way, it's been about three months since they met. Amoré is five months old now.

-November 27th, 2016-

*Chresanto's POV*

"Mel." I shake Melanie's shoulder.

"Yes?" She asks.

"Little Mel keeps coughing." I answer.

And again, Little Melanie coughs a few more times.

Melanie quickly gets up, rushing to the baby. "How long has she been coughing?"

"Just about a minute, I didn't know why so I wanted to wake you up." I'd feel terrible if something happened to her and I could have stopped it. Melanie's whole world is that baby in her arms.

"Thank you." She smiles. She rubs the baby's back, patting it. "I think she's getting a cold."

"We can take her to the emergency room. Or find a doctor's office. Or we can get some medicine." I suggest.

"Let's try the medicine first." She nods.

I make a mental note to see about medicaid for the baby and Melanie. We might need it.

"Mel, I think we should get her in medicaid. Babies get really sick in the winter, and I don't know how all that works, but if we don't have the money to pay for everything, I don't want to take chances." I shake my head.

"Okay, we can go later. We have an address now." She agrees.

"Okay. I'm gonna go get dressed." I get up, kissing Melanie's forehead and waving at the baby. I've never really been around a baby.

After getting dressed, and bundling up the baby, we go to the store down the street. I would have went by myself, but I don't know what to buy.

"Mel?" I ask, considering asking her about her situation. She never really told me what happened.

"Yes?" She asks.

"You look really pretty today." I decide against asking her. "I mean, you look pretty everyday. You look pretty today too is what I mean." I scratch the back of my neck, a nervous habit. Why does she make me so nervous?

"Thanks, Chres." She smiles. "You look nice too."

"Thanks." I smile back.

"So, have you ever had a girlfriend?" She asks, just making conversation.

"Um, yeah." I nod, my tongue swiping across my bottom lip.

"Why'd you guys break up?" She asks, just curious.

"She was a little older and was going to college in California. She had big dreams and wanted someone mature and her age to start a family with." I answer.

"Dang, that's mean. How old was she?" Melanie asks.

I chuckle, "Don't freak out. She was seventeen."

"How old were you?" Her eyes get wide.

"Fifteen when we broke up." I answer.

"When did you get together?"

"When I was fourteen and she was sixteen." I look down, laughing at myself. It wasn't even supposed to be something that serious with her. I thought she was cute and that turned into flirting. That turned into a date, then another, then another and then she was my girlfriend.

"Wow." Melanie laughs.

"What about you and your ex?" I ask.

"His name is Darius. We were dating for about three years before she came along. My parents never liked him because he was so much older. When I told him I was pregnant, he said to get rid of her and never come back. He wanted nothing to do with us, but I couldn't get rid of her. I already loved her."