4.5

I'm late, but Merry Christmas and happy new year and enjoy! This chapter is well over 7,000 words, that's why it took so long.

--

"Honey bunny?" I step into the bathroom.

"In the shower, love." He answers.

I remove my robe, joining him. He's not using the shower chair, he's actually standing.

I wrap my arms around his waist, laying my head on his chest. He holds my hips, kissing the top of my head. "What's wrong, pretty?"

"Nothing. I just want to be close to you." I smile.

"Well, that's not a bad idea." He hugs me close.

I look up at him, stretching to kiss his lips. "I love you, handsome."

"I love you, beautiful." He rubs his nose against mine.

*Maya's POV*

Staring down at the ring on my finger, I don't know how to feel.

He didn't propose. He gave me a promise ring. We're twenty years with a child and he gives me a promise ring. We've been in a committed relationship for five years. I thought he was proposing.

Seeing Ray drop down on one knee, I smile. He's finally proposing to me. I'm finally going to get married to the man I love.

"Maya." He takes my hand. "You know I love you."

He takes a box from his pocket. "I love you too."

"These five, almost six years that we've been together have been amazing. I want to spend the rest of my life with you, raise a family with you, grow old with you. With that, I promise to take care of you and our kids. I love you, and I promise we'll be getting married soon." He puts the ring on my finger.

"Thank you." I sniff. I don't know if I'm upset or happy.

"Maya!" Ray calls from the kitchen, snapping out of my thoughts.

"What?!" I yell.

"Come here please, beautiful!" He yells.

"Okay." I stand up from the couch.

I make my way to the kitchen. "Yes, Rayan?"

"Can you help me with the bacon?" He asks, flipping the pancakes while the bacon sizzles on another pan.

"Yes." I nod, going to flip it. I watch the bacon while he continues.

He looks over at me, "Do you like your ring?"

"Yes, it's very pretty." I smile at him. "Thank you."

"Are you happy with the promise ring?" He asks.

"Of course." I nod, not sure if I'm lying. I thought he was going to propose to me.

"But are you upset that it wasn't an engagement ring?"

"Kind of. I'm so happy you bought me this, I'm thankful, I promise. I just feel like it's a little late to get a promise ring when we've been together for five years and we have a baby." I explain.

"I promise I'm going to propose soon. I just need more time, Maya." He tells me.

"I know. But when you've been hearing soon for two years, you kind of lose hope that it's ever going to happen." I sigh, just as the baby starts crying. "I have to go get him."

I turn the bacon on simmer and go to get Junior.

I hurry upstairs, picking him up. "Hey, mama's man."