5.7

Enjoy, if you even can😀. Don't be mad, I have a plan.

--

"Alright, we're gonna ask Camden some questions first. We have monitored all communication between his parents and him, to ensure the information given is one hundred percent the truth." Shay begins.

They bring Camden out and sit him at a table, since he's only a kid. They want him to be comfortable and feel safe.

He looks around the room, his eyes landing on Melanie and myself. "Mommy! Daddy!" He cheers.

Melanie waves, "Hi, baby."

I wave too, smiling at him.

"Camden, can you tell me what mommy and daddy feed you at home?" Shay asks.

"Oh, yes." He nods. "Wait, do you want to know what mamaw told me to say, or what I want to say?"

She tried to coach him? What is wrong with her?

"Well first you can tell me what your mamaw said, and then you can tell me what you want to say." Shay answers.

"Mamaw said to say that they only feed me cucumbers." He says. "But my mommy and daddy feed me everything. Salad, hot dogs, ice cream, chips, bacon, eggs, toast, chicken, ham, turkey, and everything."

"And has mommy or daddy ever hit you?" Shay asks.

"Well, mamaw said to say yes." He lifts his fist. "She said they hit me like this."

"And what do you want to say about that?" Shay asks.

"Mommy and daddy never hit me. They love me." He smiles. "And I love my mommy and daddy."

"And have they ever called you names?"

He nods, "Oh yeah. They call me Cam."

"Other than your name?" She asks.

He nods again, "Daddy calls me Prince. Mommy calls me pumpkin and baby."

"And have mommy or daddy ever been mean to you, Camden?" She asks.

"Mawmaw said to say yes, they always mean to me. But they're so nice. They love me bunches and take care of me." He answers.

Shay grabs the picture of his back, where there was fake bruises, and his face, where there was more fake bruises. "Did mommy and daddy do this to you?"

"No. Mamaw said I'm supposed to tell you that they did and mommy put make up on me to cover it." He begins giggling. "Mamaw put them there with her make up. She's so silly."

"And, just to be clear, can you show us your mommy and daddy?"

"That's my mommy." He points at Melanie. "And that's my daddy." He points to me.

"And who's your mamaw?" Shay asks.

He points to his grandmother. I look at her too. She's sitting over there embarrassed because Camden is smart and honest. He hates to lie.

I guess she didn't know that when she tried to coach him.

"That's all I wanted to ask you, buddy." Shay smiles at him.

They begin taking him back, so he can't hear us.

"Bye mommy! Bye daddy! I love you!" Camden looks at us as they walk him back.

"I love you!" We yell in unison.

"You guys are gonna take me home soon, right?" He asks.

"Of course, buddy. Go with him though for now, he's gonna take you back to your toys." Chres tells Camden.