Chapter 4

Dedicated Chapter Song: Blame Me - The Pretty Reckless

Blame all your life on me, 'cause I get it all for free.

Levi's eyebrows raised in shock as he slammed his thumb down on the stop button

Levi's eyebrows raised in shock as he slammed his thumb down on the stop button. Anna panted and looked over at him, awaiting a response. He watched her, his eyes narrow and skeptical of what he just saw. "23 minutes and 11 seconds," he stated. Anna cheered. "Woohoooo! 2 seconds earlier than calculated! Sweet!" She clapped and jumped up and down before she was slammed against the nearby wall. Anna gasped and stiffened as Levi pinned her with one hand grabbing the fabric of her shirt and shoving her against the wood wall. "How did you do it so fast? Not even my best soldiers can clean up a room this size in under an hour."

Anna only smiled. "Secret." Levi's eyes flashed. "And your abnormal speed?" Anna replied simply. "Private." Levi let go of her and scoffed. "Stay right here. Don't move a muscle." he walked out of the room. Anna whistled lowly and rolled her eyes. "Yes, sir," she said after he had gone. She hummed to herself as she waited the longest two minutes of her life. Suddenly something was thrown at her. It was light, but it still caught her off guard. Looking down at what fell into her arms, she saw a brown jacket, white pants, a white shirt, and a green cape with the same symbol on it that the Corporal wore on his jacket. "Get changed, then report to the mess hall to retrieve your meal," Levi ordered. Anna set the clothes on her bed and tugged at her black coat. "Um...is there a furnace or something..." she asked him just as he was about to leave. "Where I can burn all of this?" she stripped off her coat and vest from the VMs, leaving her in just a thin white shirt and her dark pants. Levi walked over to her. "Hand them over, child. I'll have someone take care of that for you." she did as she was told and he left the room with her old garbs. With a sigh she began to change, stripping off the shirt first and exchanging it with a cleaner, tighter, whiter shirt.

As she did so she looked in the mirror at her waist which was so slim she could see her rib bones. Yet, she still managed to fight like a trained soldier. She then stripped off her pants and sighed at the multiple stab wounds from needles on her upper thighs. They were fresh from Boss's new experiment to make her superhumanly fast. Working in front of Corporal Levi proved that experiment worked. Anna didn't use to have two different colored eyes. Her eyes were blue. The gold one came from one of Boss's first experiments on her to turn her into the perfect soldier. It cleared her mind of her life beyond the wall and extended her life by about a century. That's right. Anna would live for more than a century. She once had a life beyond the three walls once created after those Titans attacked.

While the remainder of humanity scrambled to build up walls to keep them at bay, there were a group of rebels and mercenaries who went underground and lived there, instead. They weren't permitted to go to the surface unless they were hunting Titans for meat to bring back and sell, or if they had specific orders from Boss. No one really knew Boss's true identity. The only known about him was that he ruled the Underlands. If you were born there, he immediately owned you. If you couldn't fight, you'd be sold into slavery or prostitution to make money. Anna feared those options. Though fighting was pretty much like slavery to her. The bravest of the brave in the Underlands were a group known as the Violet Masqueraders, who were the only ones allowed onto the surface without permission.

Many citizens in the Underlands tried to join the VM just to be able to escape. They were never heard from again once they left. Anna envied that kind of freedom. When she met Cullen, the two of them were both children thrown to the street. They'd met in a cold alleyway, fighting over a leftover piece of bread. Anna eventually gave up and let Cullen have it. Cullen swore to repay her, and a week later he did by stealing potatoes, apples, and anything else he could grab without getting caught, and having a feast with her in the alleyway. They became great friends from then on. They joined Boss's ranks at age 12 and by 15 they were both the Elite Members of the VM. The first experiment was performed on Anna at age 13. She shuddered at the thought just as someone knocked on the door.

"One second!" she shouted and scrambled to throw on the rest of the uniform, excluding the strange leather belts and harness. "I wonder what this is for," she mumbled as she tossed it aside and opened the door. A young boy with dark brown hair and turquoise-colored eyes nervously stood in front of her. He looked similar to Commander Levi, except he was taller, younger, and didn't have the resting bitch face. "H-Hey... I'm Eren Jaeger. Corporal Levi sent me to bring you down for dinner."

Anna blinked and scanned him up and down. She noticed how he was wearing the leather straps and ran back to the bed, yanking it up and strapping them all on. "Ready!" she grinned. Eren just blinked. "How did you do that so fast?"

Anna ruffled her chocolate colored hair and smiled innocently. "Training," she said simply. "I'm Anna, by the way." she introduced herself. Eren smiled softly. "Anna. I like that name. Reminds me of this girl I knew- Annie."

"Annie and Anna sound nothing alike." she crossed her arms and pouted. "Aw-Nah. Ae-nee. See? Totally different." Eren snorted as she walked downstairs. "Uh-huh. Got a last name, Aw-Nah?" he teased. She giggled. "Urrie. Air-ee." she made sure to say it slow for him.

Eren smiled down at her. "Welcome to the Scouts, Anna Urrie."

"