Chapter 48

Dedicated Chapter Song: Taking Over Me - Evanescence

I look in the mirror and see your face. If I look deep enough, so many things inside that just like you are taking over. I believe in you

      Anna stood patiently at the bottom of the well, her hands behind her back as she patiently awaited Section Commander Hanji's orders

      Anna stood patiently at the bottom of the well, her hands behind her back as she patiently awaited Section Commander Hanji's orders. "Okay, Anna." Hanji said from the top of the well. "You ready down there, my dear?" Anna raised her head to look up at the Section Commander who was on the surface. "When we're good to begin, I'll fire off a smoke signal. What happens after that is entirely up to you." Hanji informed her. Anna raised her hand. "Ready when you are, Commander!" she replied.

      "If the girl loses control, this well should be able to hold her until she wears herself out. If not, we'll go with Levi's method." Hanji mumbled to herself. "Perfect." her and Levi stepped away from the well. Anna waited a solid minute before a green smoke signal went off in the air. "All right," she raised her mouth to her hand. "Let's see what you can do, Anna." she sank her teeth into her flesh.

     Levi and Hanji patiently waited on their horses a few meters away. No Titan steam or bolt of lightning erupted letting them know Anna had turned. "I don't understand it. Perhaps she missed the signal?" Hanji theorized. "Perhaps." Levi said flatly. "Or perhaps we're naïve enough to expect she can turn it on and off the way Eren does." he kicked his heels against the flanks of his horse and rode back over to the well.

      "Anna! Enough!" he ordered. Anna whimpered as she looked up to the top of the well. "We're done for today!" Hanji and Levi walked over to the edge. "Did something go wrong down there?" Hanji asked before the both of them gasped, seeing Anna's hand was soaked in blood and it dripped down her white pants. It didn't evaporate like Titan's blood normally did, instantaneously. "I'm sorry..." she cried. "I don't think I can do it now..."

      "It's alright, Anna," Eren reassured her as they sat outside at a wooden picnic table. Anna stared at her bandaged hands in shock. "I had the same problem when I first tried. Did you have a specific goal in mind?"

      "I did!" Anna said. "I don't get why it didn't work! I followed every step Hanji told me to do! If I'm like you, then come how the results weren't the same?!" Eren shrugged. "I don't know." he glanced up at Levi walked over. "So, Anna, you're telling me the bite wounds on your hands show no signs of healing anytime soon?" he demanded.

      "None, sir." she replied. Levi looked down at her. "No offense, but you're not much use to us in this form." Anna furrowed her eyebrows. "I'm a better fighter than any of you." she scoffed. "Although that is true, we'd like to see what kind of a Titan you are. Whether you fight for our cause or your own. Pull yourself together, Kasahara. And yes, that is an order." he began to walk away.

      Anna glared at him before slamming her hands on the table,  not even caring about the pain anymore. "What is your problem?! Can't you see that I tried?! You act as if it's so easy for me to just sit here and bite my hand and deal with the pain! Why don't you try it for once?! It fucking hurts!" before she could say more, the entire field erupted with a cloud of Titan smoke. Anna barely even had any time to register a single thing that happened before swords were drawn and there was screaming all around her.