Chapter 42

Dedicated Chapter Song: Titanium - David Guetta

I'm bulletproof, nothing to lose. Fire away, fire away. Ricochet, you take your aim. Fire away, fire away. You shoot me down, but I won't fall, I am titanium. You shoot me down, but I won't fall, I am titanium.

Anna breathed out, glancing at her shoulder to see the metal dagger protruding from it

Anna breathed out, glancing at her shoulder to see the metal dagger protruding from it. "Are you blind or have you lost the ability to aim?" she stared at Levi. "I'm not going to kill you, Anna. Not now." Anna shoved him back and yanked the dagger from her skin. "Why?" she demanded. "I told you not to hold back!"

"I don't take orders from you." he crossed his arms across his bare chest. Anna narrowed her eyes. "Don't you get what's at risk here? What part of me being a goddamn Titan don't you understand?"

"He won't turn you into one if you never go back." Levi said simply. Anna sighed, yanking her mask off her face. "Believe me, Lance Corporal, I wish that were true. He knows where I'd run. He knows about this place. He had spies watching us this whole time." Levi's expression changed to anger.

      "I want to stay." Anna admitted. "I want to be here, fighting for something worth my life. I don't want to be used as a pawn in his little game anymore." she wiped the knife off on her shirt and shocked it back into her back pocket. "Why haven't you just killed him yet?" Levi mumbled. Anna laughed. "Oh, you wanna try, Mr. Perfect?" she said sarcastically. "I'm better than you, yeah? Well, this guy is ten times stronger and faster than me. I can't possibly take him down unless I..." her voice trailed off as she came to a sudden realization. "What? Anna, what is it?!" Levi demanded. Her frightened eyes slowly moved over to him. "I have to go..." she whispered. "I know how to kill him..." 

      "How? I'll help you-" Anna shook her head. "NO! I'm begging you, don't ever come after me. You may have been strong in the Underground City when you were there, but that strength is nothing compared to his." she turned back to the window. "Look, if I fail, he'll come after you. All of you. Speak with Erwin. Come up with an evacuation plan or something. He will kill you if you don't leave soon enough."

      "How long will we wait before we're infiltrated?" Levi demanded. Anna sighed. "Give me a fortnight. If I've not returned by then, evacuate." she instructed. "I'll do my best to hold off my end of the party. I'm the new Captain of the VM." she sadly smiled. "Not exactly a position I ever wanted or applied for, but it has its perks."

      "Anna, this plan of yours," he started off. "What exactly is it that you plan to do?" he cautiously asked. Anna bit her lip and looked up. "Something stupid. And dangerous. Possibly a suicide mission, but... if it means killing that bastard, I'm all for it." she shrugged her shoulders. "Are you really sure you can face him alone?"

       Anna tossed her hair behind her shoulder. "No, but... I don't have a choice anymore." she sighed, reaching out and taking his hand. "Levi, whatever happens, just know I didn't throw my life away for nothing. I've lived a hell of a life and if it comes down to my demise, I'll be happy knowing you're safe."

      "You still won't tell me what it is you plan to do." he stated. "Just trust me." Anna smiled. "You can do that, can't you?" Levi sighed but nodded. "Be careful, Kasahara."

      Anna grinned, walking back over to the window. "I will, my Captain." he saluted him with two fingers. "Oh, and Levi," she said just before she was about to leap off the ledge. "What is it, brat?" he crossed his arms. She smirked. "I love you." Without waiting for a reply she jumped off the ledge.

      Levi ran over to the windowsill in hopes of still seeing her, but when he looked out she had gone like she was never there in the first place. "Anna..." he whispered softly. "Come back to me."

      Anna had returned to the Underlands by morning that next day

      Anna had returned to the Underlands by morning that next day. Lucky for her she changed into a black sports bra, a spiked jacket, and a spiked mask covering her mouth to complete the look. She yanked up her hood to cover more of her face as she strutted towards Boss's lair. "Urrie. Boss is expecting you," spoke of one his goons. The man had an unclean beard and a long scar crossing his left cheek. Anna smirked. "I'm sure he is." she shoved past him and into the dark room Boss often kept himself in. "Anna," he grinned in delight upon her arrival. "My, my, what a sight!" Anna smirked proudly. "What's the skippy, Boss?" she asked. He stood up, taking a stride over to her. "Where were you last night?" he inquired. "I was out on a lead taking down a rat I found mulling about in the streets." she lied. 

      "Oh, is that so? What the rat's name?" Boss pestered. "I dunno. He was just another commoner who was thieving." she blinked. "Hm...I don't believe you, Anna. Do you know why I don't believe you?" Anna rolled her eyes. "Because you're a selfish , egotistical, abusive asshole who only cares about himself?" she answered honestly. "Tell me I'm wrong." Boss grabbed her hood and yanked it down, roughly grabbing her hair. She winced in pain, staring up at him. "I don't believe you because my men caught you sneaking out last night. Where did you go, Anna?" Anna sneered at him. "None of your damn business!" 

      "You went to go warn your precious Captain, is that it?" Boss grinned. Anna laughed. "So what if I did? You can't touch him." the much older man yanked her head back. "Oh, Anna," he sighed, motioning for his men to hand him another syringe. "I really didn't want to have to do this to you." he pressed the sharp needle into her skin. "What are you- Ah!" Anna choked, her pupils dilating as she gasped for breathe. She could feel her bones growing longer, her pants tightening around her legs, ripping at some of the seams. Her jacket was barely fitting her now. Boss ripped her mask off and tossed it to the floor. "You'll become unrecognizable." He dragged her over to a bucket on the ground in the corner of the dusty room. Anna could tell from where she was it was a bucket of bleach. "How will your Captain feel when you won't even exist anymore?" he shoved her to her knees. Anna wriggled to get free. "You won't get away with this!" she spat. 

       "I already have." Boss grinned, shoving her head into the bucket of bleach. Anna held her breathe and shut her eyes so as to not digest any of the harmful liquid. Every few seconds he'd pull her head out and she'd gasp for air, before he'd slam her head back into the toxic bucket. She only prayed that soon enough her plan would come to work. She couldn't wait to kill the bastard. It felt like hours before she was let go. She was left alone in the room to cry. 

      She looked at herself in the reflection of a vase nearby. Her hair was white blonde, her clothes bleached red, and she was so much taller than before. Anna held herself in the corner of the dank room, hoping soon enough one of the two of them would die. "This isn't over..." she whispered to herself. "I WILL kill him." 

"