Chapter 19

Dedicated Chapter Song: Heaven Knows - The Pretty Reckless

Oh, Lord, heaven knows we belong way down below.

      Anna breathed out, not bothering to look up at Levi

      Anna breathed out, not bothering to look up at Levi. "I found the three of them one day. They never did join our ranks. I saw how good they fought. Now that I think about it...they seemed to have their own 3DM gear, albeit I'm not sure how they managed to get ahold of that. I remember one of the males was fast- haha, almost as fast as me," she grinned cheekily. "But not fast enough. The three rebels were caught, as far as I remember. By some of the Scouts or something like that. I don't remember who. I couldn't see who it was, but I ran before they caught me, too. Later that week I heard the rebels were taken and executed." she clenched her fists. "I was so angry with the Survey Corps and the Military Police, that I killed every single one of them on sight."

      "That's not true!" Levi blurted out. Anna looked up at him. "Huh?" she noticed Levi looked like he were on edge, his fists and jaw clenched. "You were there? You saw us," his eyes narrowed at her. Her eyes widened. "We weren't executed. They took us and forced us to join the Survey Corps." Anna's lips parted in utter shock. "You...." she whispered. "It was you...? No... I don't believe that. It couldn't have been. Then again..." she shut her eyes, trying to think back to that night. She paid great detail to the boy she'd watched swinging by the dim buildings. His black hair. The way he moved. His cold expression. She opened her eyes and stared at him. "...How...?" she whispered. "That isn't fair!" she screamed. "How are you where you are and I was left in the dirt?!" she spat. "Where are the other two then?!"

      "They're dead." Levi said, his eyes staring at the floor. Anna blinked at the sudden change in his emotion. "I couldn't save them. They met their fate like most of us have. Eaten by a Titan. Almost exactly how you lost Cullen. I lost Isabel and Furlan just as you lost Cullen and Ruby. Tell me again how I'm a heartless bastard who's never experienced the loss of someone I care about." his eyes were glassy, and Anna soon felt sympathetic for him. "Oh, god...I never knew." she put a hand to her head. "That's always been my problem. I don't think about others anymore." she realized Levi was silent and looked up to see actual tears streaming down his face. She gasped, never thinking in her life she'd ever see him cry.

      "Please don't cry..." she whispered. "I don't know how to comfort you." Levi sat down on the bed next to her. "Just continue your damn story." he said, harshly. Anna gulped and nodded. "Well...after I heard the three of you died I went into a blind rage, killing anyone and everyone who talked back to me or wasn't on my team. In a week I killed almost 2,000 men and women. Soldier or citizen, it didn't matter. The serums Boss injected me with made it worse. For the longest time I couldn't feel anything. People cowered in fear before me as I held them at gunpoint or with a blade to their throats. Even when they begged for mercy, I didn't feel regret murdering them." she whimpered quietly. "And then news spread about the Titans invading Add to dictionary. Cullen and I knew if we requested to have a mission there, there would be a chance we could recover some valuables to sell and get those citizenship documents I told you about. It took several years before Boss budged. He didn't want his "prized creation" being slaughtered by a Titan. I had to prove my worth to him. My missions were payment to him. If I failed one and came back empty-handed, I wasn't allowed to eat for a week. I often starved myself to make sure my comrades had food whenever I let them down. I told myself I was never strong enough. I forced myself to keep getting better and better." she bit her lip.