Chapter 30

Dedicated Chapter Song: Paint it Black - Andy Black

Every time you walk away
I lose the one I need to save
I just paint it black
Like starting over

Every time I lose a fight
And I'm dying to be right
I just paint it black
So you remember

This won't last forever
It's just another night

      "Hunter will take position by the church," a young Anna instructed

      "Hunter will take position by the church," a young Anna instructed. She was decked out in black clothing and wore a purple cape with a mask symbol on the back. Her eyes were covered with a purple mask as well. "Joel and Saffiyah will take positions up on the clocktower and await my signal." her blue and gold eyes shimmered in the sunshine. She tilted her head back to bask in its glory. "The Military Police are in patrolling the East Sector. Tris and Gaben will distract them while I run and grab the Garrison's supplies. That shiny gear looks like it'll be worth something." she grinned. "We'll do a hand-off at the sixteenth street North. Hunter, that's where you come in. The Garrison will be much slower on foot unlike us. They're not trained assassins in the same way we are. We can climb like monkeys while they're lazy and use special ropes."

      "Lazy jerks," Saffiyah mumbled, pulling up her orange hair into a bun. "What about us, Anna-Kasa." she smiled, referring to her nickname for Anna. "You two are backup for Gaben and I when the Military Police come after us. The Garrison will be on our heels, too. We'll need to kill as many of them as we have to in order to escape back to HQ."

      "Got it memorized, A-K!" Hunter saluted, putting his hand to his grey-haired head. Anna grinned. "On my say-so." she instructed.

      "I remember this... " the current Anna spoke to Levi as they walked across the rooftops, watching as the child assassins leapt from the buildings, using ledges, ropes, and balconies to move silently through town. "My plan was faulty and I panicked when we got in trouble..." she said quietly, watching as her younger self grabbed a tank of gas.

      "Hey! It's one of those thieving bitches! Get her!" A member of the Garrison shouted. Anna gasped and dropped the tank of gas, letting it explode in her face. It temporarily worked as a smoke bomb and she panicked, running down a dark alleyway. "Argh! Bitch! Get her!"

      "Ayaaah!" Anna cried out, calling the signal for the others to help her out. Gaven went after the Garrison members while the Military Police began to come at her from the front. "Anna!" Saffiyah warned, backflipping off the roof of a building nearby and slamming her katana into a Military Police's body. She wasn't careful enough as he flung her off of him before falling to the ground dead.  A Garrison member grabbed her by the hair. "I've got one!" He exclaimed. "Like hell you do!" Saffiyah spat. She tried to wiggle free but the Garrison member wouldn't budge.