Chapter 38

Dedicated Chapter Song: Flashlight - Jessie J

When tomorrow comes...
I'll be on my own... Feeling frightened of the things that I don't know..."

     "Anna?" Levi rapped at the door to her new office

     "Anna?" Levi rapped at the door to her new office. When there was no reply, he let himself in, gasping softly at the sight before him. Anna was passed out on the ground, a headscarf around her hair and one around her mouth. The stacks of papers were all filled out and in neat envelopes in a bin beside her desk. The room was spotless.

      Levi neared her to see she was clinging to a rag and a duster. He let out a soft chuckle. "Oh, Anna..." he grabbed the rag and duster from her grasp. "You missed a few spots." he joked lightly, taking it upon himself to finish the job. He dusted the spines of the books, knowing Anna took pride in owning so many now.

      Anna groaned lightly as she pushed herself up off the floor, her eyes scanning over to see Levi. "What are you doing here?" she asked. "Finishing your job for you. Or, in other words, repaying you for the many times you did my work as I slept." he looked over his shoulder at her. She yanked down the bandana from her mouth and pouted. "I had it under control. I just got a little dizzy and tired." she admitted.

      Levi set down the cleaning utensils and walked over to her. "You're such a bad liar." he made a "tsk" noise. "Yeah. That's kinda why I got poisoned." she shrugged. He chuckled quietly. Anna smiled. "Oh, you do laugh, huh? I'm starting to pick apart that hard shell of yours and get to the mushy eggy stuff on the inside." she poked his cheek. He hissed at her, attempting to bite her finger.

      She yanked it back in enough time to avoid it being chomped off. "Hey! No biting!" she tapped his nose with her other finger. "Or what?" Levi asked. "Or...I'll never ever kiss you again." she crossed her arms, sitting up on her desk. Levi leaned close, placing his arms on the desk on either side of her. "Tch, you know you can't resist me." he said in a low voice.

       "I can and I will." she turned her head away from him. Levi grabbed her chin and forced her head back to look at him. "Now, now, Annalise..." he whispered. "Don't make me do this the hard way."

      "Based on your trousers, I'm pretty sure this is already being done the 'hard' way." she winked. Levi shook his head at her. "Tch, always one to make a quip, aren't you?" he sucked his teeth. Anna smirked. "Oh, you know you love it." she winked. "Sadly, that's one of the things I admire about you-"

      "Hanji." Anna's eyes widened, seeing the Section Commander watching the two of them. "Please tell me you both have pants on." Hanji said, holding up her clipboard to cover her face. "Nothing happened, shitty glasses." Levi stepped away from Anna. "Are you sure? Because that didn't look like nothing." she motioned between the two of them.

      "What do you want, Hanji?" Anna crossed her arms. "I...uh...  came to get my research approved..." she mumbled. Anna held out her hand for the clipboard. Hanji reluctantly handed it over. Anna scanned over the document, biting her lip. "You plan to run tests on Eren?" she glanced up at the taller girl.

      "He already gave his consent." she nodded. "I have a hypothesis about how he's able to change." Anna grabbed a quill and scribbled her signature onto the document. "There you go, Han." she handed the clipboard back. Hanji grabbed it and looked in between the two of them. "So... you two... "

"Yes."

"No."

"Levi!"

"Anna!"

"She already saw!"

"She's as blind as a bat!"

"On the contrary, bats aren't actually blind, dumbass!"

"Who are you calling a dumbass, shitty brat?!"

"Oh, sure, got anymore clever nicknames, shortcake?" she crossed her arms.

Hanji slowly backed away and silently slipped out the door as the two of them bickered. "It's not like she wasn't going to find out sometime soon!"

"Why did you have to tell her?!"

"Oh, please, she can keep a secret. Right, Han...ji... " Anna trailed off, realizing Hanji was gone. "Fucking hell."

"This is all your fault!"

"My fault?!" she scoffed.

"Why do you always have to look so alluring in your damn crop top and fucking tight pants that show off your ass and just- ugh!" he kicked at her desk. "Hey, leave the desk alone. The desk didn't do anything to you." she stuck out her tongue. He gave her a look. "Shut up." his eyes narrowed.

       "Make me." she taunted. Instead of kissing her like Anna had anticipated, Levi simply walked out of the room. "Ah... Levi! Hey!" she whined. Anna looked at her desk of papers and sighed. "Busy, busy, busy..." she repeated. It was a long sleepless night for her. In the morning, things weren't any better.

      "Anna's still not here? Breakfast is almost over." Armin stated. "She's been pretty busy lately now that she's second in command." Eren stated. "Pretty busy fucking the Lance Corporal." Hanji snickered. "Wait- what?!" Sasha spit out her drink.

"I caught them flirting last night." Hanji grinned. "Seriously?" Mikasa arched an eyebrow. "Why would Levi even go for someone as reckless as her?"

"It's probably her reckless nature that he likes." Connie stated. "She does have a nice ass." Jean said. "Jean!" Sasha hit him. "Whaaaat? I'm JUST saying. Besides, it's not like this is much of a surprise. We all kinda saw it coming."

      "Anna only got where she is by fucking him, I bet. Pft, she probably even fucked Erwin, too." Mikasa accused. "Don't go making assumptions like that!" Eren slammed his fist on the table. "Anna's not like that! Right...?" he looked to everyone else, who just shrugged simply.

      Anna stood outside the mess hall, her heart aching with every word they said. "But I didn't..." she whispered softly. She decided to skip dinner that night and locked herself in her office.