Chapter 41

Dedicated Chapter Song: Hymn For The Missing

Where are you now? Are you lost? Will I find you again? Are you alone? Are you afraid?

Are you searching for me?
Why did you go? I had to stay.  Now I'm reaching for you.
Will you wait, will you wait?
Will I see you again?

(A/N: Okay guys I SERIOUSLY recommend listening to this song as it's inspired the upcoming chapters and somewhat the whole book. Also the thumbnail is not okay and that's why I say you need to listen to it and cry. Happy cryin- I mean, reading!)

      Anna twiddled her knife between her fingers as she languished the thought of killing Levi

      Anna twiddled her knife between her fingers as she languished the thought of killing Levi. "I can't do it..." she sighed quietly. "I won't do it." she said to herself. Anna lowered her knife and sighed, looking at the blood stains on her crop top. "And that mind serum... it's getting worse," she put her hand to her head.

~'I told you,' Anna hissed, her voice distorted in the playback of her memories. 'I won't kill for your needs. I refuse.' Boss laughed, sweeping Anna's hair from her eyes. He was so much taller than her, giving him that intimidating feel. 'So, naïve. Don't you forget, Anna, I own you.' he moved her hair from one side of her neck. 'And you'll do whatever I want, whenever I want.' Anna braced as she felt the cold metal of a needle press into her skin.

      She wanted to fight back as she felt the liquid shoot into her body. Biting her lip, she looked over at Boss, her eyes red with tears. 'What do you wish me to do, Boss?' she spoke against her will. Boss grinned, his mouth of fangs shining at her. 'Complete your kill contract.'~

Anna sighed and lowered her head. "I have to warn him..." she suddenly realized. "Before I get my next kill contract." she stood to her feet. Her eyes shut as she clamped her hand around the knife. "And if it comes down to it... I'll have him kill me."

      Night finally fell on the Scout Regiment Headquarters once more

      Night finally fell on the Scout Regiment Headquarters once more. Levi was exhausted from the extra hours he had spent searching for Anna. The letter on his nightstand taunted him every night as a reminder of what he once had. "She's never coming back..." he repeated and shut his eyes tight, taking in a deep breathe. Levi snatched the letter up from the bedside table and ripped it to shreds, crying out angrily with every rip and tear. When the letter was in shreds, he looked at the mess on the floor he had created. He sighed and picked up the pieces of the letter, tossing them out his window. 

       Anna kept her head down low as her black horse and her rode through the empty and dark forest just outside of the Scout Regiment Headquarters. Her eyes shimmered when she saw Levi's hand reach out his bedroom window to toss something into the air. "Unlike you, Levi..." she mumbled. She waited until she saw him close the window and the light inside turn off before continuing any further. She tied up her horse just out of sight. "Stay here, Aelia." she whispered to the horse, pulling her purple hood over her head. Lucky for her, she kept her ODM gear, which made it easier for her to sneak past the guards to the building. Anna grinned as she leapt into the air, swinging her way to Levi's window. Peeking in, she saw he was laying down, his uniform on the chair across from the bed. 

       Anna's heart raced just seeing him laying shirtless on the bed. She looked behind her to make sure no one had spotted her before quietly shoving the window open and climbing in. She walked around the edge of the bed, seeing Levi's eyes were closed. Anna observed his breathing to see he'd passed out. She frowned. "I can't have you sleeping on me." she shook her head. Levi turned his head, sleepily mumbling her name. "A...nna..." he groaned. Anna couldn't help but smile as she leaned down, gently pressing her lips to the sleeping prince's. Levi, half-asleep did his best to kiss her back before freezing completely. His eyes shot wide open. Anna pulled back and smirked. "Hey, hot stuff." she winked. Levi moved to shout, but Anna jumped on him, slamming her hand against his mouth. "Sh!" she grinned. "Don't scream." she whispered, straddling his legs with her hips. 

      Levi's eyes widened as he noticed the crimson blood staining her face and clothes. "Sfth blrd?" he mumbled. "Huh?" Anna furrowed her eyebrows, taking her hand from his mouth. Levi took his chance and shoved her off of him, grabbing her and slamming her against the wall. Anna only smirked. "Glad to see you, too, Captain." Levi eyed her attire. "Is that blood?" he repeated. Anna grinned. "Oops! Did I miss a spot?" she asked, innocently.

(A/N: This is my own digital artwork of Anna and Levi

(A/N: This is my own digital artwork of Anna and Levi. Please don't repost as it's still a WIP. Thank you :) )

      "Who did you hurt?" he demanded. Anna sighed. "Look," she pushed him back a bit. "I don't have a lot of time, Levi. I came here to warn you." she lowered her head. "About?" Levi demanded. "Me." Anna looked up at him. "I'm going to kill you, Levi. That is, I will try. I need you to get yourself and everyone out of here before I do." she pleaded. Levi furrowed his eyebrows. "What? I don't understand-" 

       "He figured out a way to control me! He's going to make me like Eren! That's all he's waiting for! He wants to turn me into a Titan so I can come back all sweet and innocent, infiltrate the squad overnight and slaughter you in your sleep!" Anna's chest was heaving as she spoke. "I had to leave, Captain. He would have killed you either way. I thought by leaving I could save everyone's lives, but I've just fucked up and made things worse." 

      "I won't run away." Levi said. "If you come after me, I will kill you." Anna smiled sadly. "I was hoping you would say that." she took her dagger out of her back pocket and handed it to him. Levi stared at the dagger, hesitantly taking it in hand. "Please...don't hold back." she smiled, a few tears running down her face. Levi brought the dagger up, looking at her in the eyes. She nodded in reassurance. He plunged the knife down. Anna screamed.